Bear Stage Players Present “The Red Velvet Cake War”

The+Bear+Stage+Players+will+present+The+Red+Velvet+Cake+War+under+the+direction+of+Cory+Broom.+

C. Broom

The Bear Stage Players will present “The Red Velvet Cake War” under the direction of Cory Broom.

Theatre is more than just performing plays and dressing up in fun costumes. It’s about hard work, long hours and pure dedication. This time of year can be stressful for theatre students because of the preparation it takes to perform two fall plays. The first production of the year, “The Red Velvet Cake War,” will premiere this weekend and according to theatre director Cory Broom, it is sure to entertain viewers.

This production is the first of three plays that the Bear Stage Players will perform this year. According to Broom, it holds a high end in the comedy category and the audience is sure to have a good time, with lots of laughs.

“The play is very good, entertaining, and extra-credit is involved,” Cory Broom said.

This production is a spin off of the 2012 production of “Southern Hospitality.” “The Red Velvet Cake War” is about the three Verdeen cousins, whose antics have produced much gossip in the small town of Sweetgum. Gaynelle, Peaches and Jimmie Wyvette prepare for their family reunion, while each encountering the wildest events imaginable, including a neighbor’s pet devouring the entire feast and a one-eyed suitor showing up to declare his lover for a special lady.

When choosing what play to perform, Broom said he liked the fact that this production was a comedy because his students do very well with comedic plays.

“They should be great,” Broom said. “We’ve been rehearsing in class and on the weekends, and it’s sure to be an entertaining play. Don’t miss it!”

According to Broom, this year’s cast is a young but also talented group.

“The class is strong,” Broom said. “We have two seniors. Both advanced to State last year for prose. We have ten juniors, who are all exceptionally talented, five sophomores, and five freshmen. The cast of this play uses twelve of my actors, however, all will be featured in ‘The Crucible’ in December.”

This time of year has been extremely busy for Broom and his cast.

“We are rehearsing for this play, preparing for ‘The Crucible,’ preparing for the Texas State Thespian Convention, and searching for UIL Prose and Poetry pieces.”

The first showing of “The Red Velvet Cake War” will be Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. There will also be a performance Sunday at 2:30 p.m. and Monday at 7:30 p.m.