Key Club is Ready for Convention

Members+of+Key+Club+prepare+for+this+weeks+convention.+

Chelsea Dickert

Members of Key Club prepare for this week’s convention.

The Key Club convention will be held this week, April 9-12, at the Dallas Sheraton Hotel and Convention Center where over 1,200 Key Clubbers will attend. Five LCM students will attend the convention this year and hope to come back with many new ideas.

Biology teacher Woody Cox is the Key Club adviser and this will be his 14th year to take the Key Club to the Texas-Oklahoma district convention, although all Key Clubs were charted in 1958.

“We will ride a charter bus with Westbrook and PNG, but in the past we have also ridden there with Silsbee, Nederland, Lumberton, Kelly, WOS, and Baytown,” he said.  “We’ve even flown to Oklahoma City once.”

According to Cox, the students may have some down time at convention, which they will probably use to go to Dave and Buster’s and out to eat in downtown Dallas.

Key Club convention is always a blast!

— Chelsea Dickert

The Key Club convention helps many students by giving away scholarships and it also holds leadership-training sessions for those who are interested. The convention also has a formal banquet, the Governor’s Ball, and a nationally acclaimed Keynote speaker.

The Convention also offers training for the new local, state, and national Key Club officer positions and for LCM, it has always proven to be a memorable time.

“Our club started the tradition of bringing beach balls to opening ceremony where 1,200 high school students play with beach balls while wearing professional attire,” Cox said.

According to Cox, seeing students fly for the very first time when the convention was in Oklahoma City is one of his favorite memories.

Another memory that stands out is at last year’s convention when the Key Club got to celebrate for winning first place in the best t-shirt contest. In previous years, the group has won two more trophies for best video.