Senior student goes above and beyond

Senior+Izzy+Echartea+balances+work%2C+school+and+extracurricular+activities.+

Morgan Collier

Senior Izzy Echartea balances work, school and extracurricular activities.

All of the students attending LCM High School are working hard daily preparing for STAAR testing, PSATs, SATs, and more…but one particular student has much more going on. Senior Izzy Echartea’s day doesn’t stop at 3:45 when the last school bell rings – at that point, she is just getting started.

Inside the classroom, Echartea is taking some of the top-rank classes that are offered at LCM, including AP English, AP Government, Pre-AP Pre-Calculus, and Chemistry II. These classes require hardwork and dedication, but Echartea keeps it all under control with a smile on her face.

“The main thing that keeps me going is knowing that working as hard as I do will benefit me in the long run,” Echartea said. “Keeping that in mind helps me to keep on keeping on. And a whole lot of coffee, of course.”

Besides her tough classwork, she is working two jobs. She is currently the manager at Sonic Drive-In and a freelance make-up artist at Shabby Chic Hair Boutique. Echartea works five to six days a week with hours ranging from five to nine hours a day. Working this hard at such a young age has taught her some essential things about life in general.

“I’ve been under a lot of stress lately, but I know that with enough perserverance and confidence, I can make it through,” Echartea said.

Echartea doesn’t just keep busy with school and work. At school she’s focusing on Cosmetology and she’s also a member of the National Honor Society. In the spare time that she does have, Echartea enjoys reading and watching some of her favorite television series on Netflix.

“One of my favorite things to do is make-up,” Echartea said. “I love having my day booked with appointments and getting to experiment and meet different people.”

If she goes to college and decides to stay in Southeast Texas, Echartea plans to attend Lamar University. She would like to major in criminal psychology or criminology. While she’s in college, she wants to continue working.

“If I go to college, I plan on working at a salon as a hairstylist,” Echartea said. “I’ve been working for almost two years now. Since I started, I’ve learned that not everything comes easy. I’ve learned that in order to get anywhere in life, you have to get up and work for it.”