Senior Wins Student of the Month

Senior+Rebecca+Sanford+is+presented+her+prizes+for+Student+of+the+Month.+

S. Smith

Senior Rebecca Sanford is presented her prizes for Student of the Month.

It’s yet another long night staying up late hours doing homework because practice ran a little longer once again. If it doesn’t get done then it will result in a bad grade and that is not acceptable. First it was the kick lines, then soon after the flowing moment of a lyrical dance. Just when you think there is a break, the next set of responsibilities appears. Dancing turns into practicing lines from a brightly lit stage that will be recited to large crowds. Not everybody can live this hectic life of always being busy, but for senior Rebecca Sanford, it’s been near and dear to her for most of her high school career.

Last Tuesday, Sanford received the honor of being Student of the Month presented by the Orange Chamber of Commerce. She was nominated and selected by the LCM High School faculty.

“I was very surprised,” she said. “I had no idea that I would be getting such a great honor. I feel very blessed and honored to have been thought of to be nominated and I thank whoever did.”

One thing Sanford really loved was that her dad got to be there to witness her being given the award.

“I felt very blessed as I was surrounded by people that mean a lot to me,”  she said. “It was really cool to be able to experience that.”

Sanford is involved in many things in and outside of school. From being one of the captains for drill team, a member of the award-winning UIL Prose and Poetry Team (where she has placed first place for poetry at Nederland and Hampshire-Fannett), she is also heavily involved in theater. Outside of activities in school, she holds the position for senior class secretary. Sanford has been a member of the Orange Jazz Company for four years and is also involved in her church.

With everything she is involved in, Sanford juggles her two co-enrolled classes with LSC-O (English and Anatomy) along with two AP courses (Government and Statistics).

After graduation this spring, she plans to attend Texas A&M University with a major in either Education or Communication.

“I plan to work with people no matter what,” Sanford said. “I love people so I have thought about majoring in education and becoming a teacher or majoring in communications so that I am open to multiple jobs that I will get to work with people. I’m just kind of waiting for God to point me to which one to pick. Anything that involves being around people and helping them in any way that I can.”