Art Students Win Big in HLSR Contest

Senior+Kirty+Weatherly+shows+off+her+prize-winning+painting.+

B. Kaufman

Senior Kirty Weatherly shows off her prize-winning painting.

Creativity, expression, and artistic dedication could describe the participants of the Houston Livestock and Rodeo art contest. Recently LCM’s Art 3 and 4 classes, taught by Elizabeth Kaufman, participated in the contest.

With much determination seniors Kirty Weatherly, Shannon Boozer and junior Brooke Tant brought home the medals.

“I actually felt pretty surprised I placed at all,” Weatherly said.

She painted a watercolor picture of a tractor in a cotton field in only three days which won her Best in Show, the highest possible metal.

“I didn’t expect to win,” Weatherly said.

Boozer painted an abstract piece of a rodeo clown and bull which won her the Gold Medal.

“I was excited, I’ve never won anything for my art,” Boozer said.

Tant painted four goats to resemble Andy Warhol’s pop art,which also won her the Gold Medal.

“It’s super-tastic to win this award,” Tant said. “I’m real, real happy.”

In the past, judges have looked for realistic drawings and have found the renderings in these participants. Their love of art and creativity gave them the inspiration to achieve their goal of realism in their paintings.

“I learned that my inspirations can get me very far,” she said. “If you don’t like what you make, someone else will.”

According to the students, art is their way of expressing themselves and their creativity. It is their way of showing people their talent and specific style in a way they were taught how to.

“I not only want to teach my students to appreciate art, but give them skills to create artwork on their own,” Kaufman said. “To see how far some of my students have come with their talent and skills is very rewarding to me and I know they are proud of themselves too.”