School Receives 3D Printer for STEM Courses

Cory+Parsons+engineering+students+experiment+with+the+new+3D+printer.+

Cory Parsons

Cory Parsons’ engineering students experiment with the new 3D printer.

Thanks to an LCM Foundation Grant submitted by Principal Dr. Terri Estes and Assistant Principal Kristy Brown, the high school has received a cutting edge 3D printer, a machine that can print full three-dimensional objects with plastic. This new printer fits in perfectly with LCM’s recent designation as a STEM Academy and will be used in several different courses.

The inspiration for the request came from a TED talk on a group called E-nable, an organization dedicated to providing free prosthetics to those who may be missing parts of their hand by using their personal 3D Printer, and LCM hopes to take part in the program.

“We are in the process of joining up with the E-nable group to help provide simple prosthetic hands to those that can’t afford the traditional prosthetics,” math teacher Jeff Collier said.

In addition to the E-nable program, the 3D printer will also be used by the STEM (Science, Math Engineering, and Technology) related classes.

“The files that create the pieces for the prosthetic hands are free, so these classes can begin with the current models of hands available, then either modify the designs to accomplish different tasks or use the designs as a starting point to completely new ideas,” Collier said.

While this particular program focuses on the prosthetics, many students will get the chance to use the 3D printer in different classes such as Engineering, which is being offered for the first time and is taught by Cory Parsons.

“The hands are just the start,” Collier said. “There are many different projects and creations that will benefit the STEM classes through the use of the printer. This will allow the students to use the same tools and design and create things the way professional engineers do. I believe the possibilities are unlimited.”