One Act Play Prepares for District Competition

This year’s One Act Play cast and crew has been busy preparing for its production of the play “Leading Ladies,” which they will perform at District competition on March 29.

This play tells the story of two struggling actors, Leo Clark and Jack Gable, who are trying, rather unsuccessfully, to make their way to stardom and fame. They read in a local newspaper about a dying millionaire looking for her long lost relatives Max and Steve, whom she wants to leave the bulk of her fortune. She hasn’t seen them since they were very young and Leo gets the idea that the boys could pretend to be her nephews and get the money. They find out that “Max” and “Steve” are actually short for “Maxine” and “Stephanie.” Chaos and hilarity ensue when, despite Jack’s protest, the boys proceed in the effort anyway.

Some of the lead actors who will perform are juniors Alex Borel, Triston Stringer and Rebecca Sanford, and freshman Mariah Blair. These students, as well as the rest of the crew and theater director Cory Broom, have been working tirelessly to perfect their performance.

“The cast and crew rehearse six hours a week after school on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and have logged many hours on the weekends as well,” Broom said.

In order to get ready for competition, the crew must do more than just rehearse. Recently, they have attended UIL One Act Play Critiques at Sabine Pass and Barbers Hill High School to get feedback on their performances with hopes of succeeding at their first competition.

“Our goal this year, and every year, is to grow as a company,” Broom said. “Our journey together is always great and making it to State is usually a goal of every ensemble.”

The District competition will be held at Lamar-Port Arthur and LCM will take the stage at 12 p.m. as the second performance of the day. Staff and students are encouraged to attend the performance.

For those who cannot make it to the District performance, the play will be shown at the LCM Auditorium on Tuesday, April 8 and Thursday, April 10. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. in the lobby and the show will begin promptly at 7 p.m.