Superintendent Makes an Impact

Dr.+Pauline+Hargrove+is+currently+in+her+15th+year+as+LCMCISD+Superintendent.+

Sherry Combs

Dr. Pauline Hargrove is currently in her 15th year as LCMCISD Superintendent.

She’s confident, loving, hard-working and goal-oriented. She’s humble, kind, supportive and much more. She is the superintendent of LCMCISD. Dr. Pauline Hargrove has accomplished many feats in her lifetime and during her career in education, she has set quite the example for her students and peers.

Hargrove said she loves her job and believes that it is about loving, caring for and truly inspiring each and every student and staff member to be their best and to reach their maximum potential. Her occupation requires not only being capable of handling multiple responsibilities around the clock, but it requires continuous growth and self-improvement.

“The superintendent is accountable and responsible to all stakeholders of the district, community, town, state, and nation,” Hargrove said. “The responsibilities are 24/7. It is wonderful and humbling.”

Of course, reaching this position must have taken a little inspiration and in Hargrove’s case, her parents were the main influence. Her mother and father greatly valued education and instilled the love of learning in her two brothers and herself.

“I always wanted to be and make a positive difference in the lives of others,” Hargrove said. “It is such an honor and a privilege to have the opportunity to invest yourself in others, to encourage, to influence and to lead the way for others to pursue their dreams in a manner that will benefit mankind.”

In order to achieve all that she has, Hargrove said it took faith in God, love for people, doing what is right, hard work, intelligence, confidence, courage, education and experience. She has a Bachelor of Science Degree, a Master’s Degree, a Mid-Management Certification, a Supervision Certificate, a Superintendent Certificate and numerous other certifications. She also has an outstanding 12 years of experience in teaching and 14 years as a principal.

“I began my first teaching position at Mauriceville at the same time I began the Administration and Supervision M.Ed. at McNeese,” Hargrove said. “I loved teaching elementary and secondary students, whether they were in regular, special, gifted and talented, or speech and drama classes. In addition to teaching, I served as a principal at MVE, LCE, and at LCMHS. I loved the principalship because I could interact with all the students.”

It took her 29 years after graduating Stark High School to become LCMCISD Superintendent, a position in which she has served for the past 15 years.

“Becoming a superintendent never entered my mind,” Hargrove said. “I did not know anything about the role.”

Although she is now knowledgeable and very experienced in this role, Hargrove said some of the challenges that come along with being the superintendent are providing the best education possible for all the students, attempting to meet everyone’s needs and desires, complying with all laws, rules, and procedures and much more. She said her favorite thing about her job is being able to love and serve all of the people and students of LCM.

Some of her favorite memories from her years at LCM have been being around the students on a daily basis and developing relationships, helping the students learn, and cheering and supporting them at their events.

“I still have notes and cards that students gave me, and of course, I remember and appreciate the verbal messages, too,” Hargrove said. “Another favorite memory was being a torch bearer for the Olympics and being surprised by the LCM cheerleaders and Assistant Principal Linda Warner who showed up to support me and cheer for me, as I ran with the torch. That still brings tears to my eyes.”

Not only is she involved in her work in the school district, but Hargrove is also an active participant in many clubs and organizations in the community. She is a member of the Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce and many more. Hargrove said she loves people and enjoys serving them.

“I have the opportunity to interact with so many people in all walks of life,” Hargrove said. “I can be visiting with a kindergarten student in the morning, testifying at the Capitol in Austin that afternoon, and meeting with an advisory group that night. Then, I get to come home to my family. What a wonderful life! I am humbled, honored, and so very grateful.”

Hargrove’s advice to the students in her district is to keep God first, honor their family and to be their best, look their best, and do their best in whatever they are doing.

“Do the right thing,” Hargrove said. “Be kind and respectful to everyone, whether you think they deserve it or not. Life is not about you. It is about the difference you can make in the lives of others. You were created for a purpose. Discover it and fulfill it.”