Band Performs “The Rite of Spring”

While most of us are not musical historians or experts, it can be commonly observed that the body of all music serves several major functions, and one of which is presenting a question. This question is in part, rhetorical and deeply personal. The “question” referred to here is answered first simply by hearing, and we ourselves answer the question by experiencing. No matter what musical piece, song, symphony, ballet, etude, ballad, lyric, we answer it by responding bodily and viscerally.

Exploring such a concept involves experiencing challenging pieces of art, such as Igor Stravinsky’s seminal avant-garde ballet, “The Rite of Spring.” One of the most controversial and studied pieces of music composed during its time, it proves even today the ways music can influence us in a bodily way. Today, Stravinky’s masterpiece has been arranged into both rock and jazz-style marching band show pieces, and is one of the most difficult endeavors a high school band can undertake.

What makes The Rite relevant to the students of  LCM? The LCM Battlin’ Bear Band is attempting to bring a fresh paradigm to Stravinky’s brainchild, and with the visual aids and finesse possible in marching band, it proves to be a venerable sonic journey through the collective past of a culture.

The band staff, students and leaders have all cited this year’s show as an especially difficult and thematic one. Band director Steven Schoppert offered some insight onto his ideas about the show, both the theme and the piece itself.

“It’s one of the most polarized pieces ever composed” Schoppert said.  “It was originally a ballet, known for the mixed reactions it brings straight from the day it premiered.”

This  year is a state year for Texas bands, offering the opportunity to compete with bands from all over the various regions of Texas, and that’s what has warranted the gusto and enthusiasm of the band community, from the boosters to the staff.

“I think this year has more meaning,” band captain Bailey Hext said. “The emotions, it’s a story about love and sacrifice, not just notes on a page.”

Thematically, the show conveys the motifs of chaos, nature, animism, and the primal aspects humanity once held close. The band’s 2013-2014 show “Angels in the Architecture” shed light on the age old conflict between good and evil, this year the two “sides” are more ambiguous. It’s a struggle, but an ill-defined struggle, almost an esoteric critique of the ways of yore.

The group of freshman that the LCM band has “adopted” this year have also caught quick wind of the process of succeeding, with noted enthusiasm. That being said, the band looks forward to contest with eyes set to kill.

“This is the first year since I’ve been here that there has just been a lot of kids buying into what’s necesarry to succeed,” Schoppert said.