Honey Bears to Host ‘Experience’

The+Honey+Bears+get+ready+to+practice+their+routines+they+will+perform+at+the+clinic+this+weekend.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Honey Bears to Host ‘Experience’

The Honey Bears get ready to practice their routines they will perform at the clinic this weekend.

Caitlyn Permenter

Caitlyn Permenter

Caitlyn Permenter

Marie Vezina and Caitlyn Permenter

The Honey Bear Drill Team will host a clinic this Saturday, Jan. 30 from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. in the high school lobby. This event, called “The Honey Bear Experience,” will allow the drill team members to showcase the necessary skills needed to have a successful tryout in March.

According to Honey Bear Director Kimberly Scott, this is a recruitment tool for 6th-8th grade girls and the participants will work on turns, leaps and kick technique. They will also learn a routine to perform at the home basketball game on Feb. 5.

“It will give them the opportunity to see what it takes to be a Honey Bear and have Honey Bears work with them to improve their current skill level,” Scott said. “They will also have the opportunity to perform for a crowd.”

Freshman Honey Bear Daisy Sutton said she is looking forward to helping the participants of the clinic understand how to meet certain Honey Bear requirements.

“I am very enthusiastic about dancing, but clinics are particularly my favorite,” Sutton said.  “I enjoy helping kids strive for their goals of becoming a Honey Bear, as well as dancing for myself.”

Earlier in the year, the Honey Bears hosted a clinic for kids in any grade level. Scott said she wants to give potential Honey Bears in younger grades the opportunity to see what it takes to have a successful tryout.

“I am hoping to use this as a way to grow our team with quality members,” Scott said.

Sutton said she wants those who are trying out for Honey Bears to know that confidence is key and that they should live up to their fullest potential,  keep trying, and never give up.  At first she doubted herself when trying out for the squad, but now she knows it was definitely worth it.

“I was inspired to join Honey Bears by watching how much previous Honey Bears enjoyed dancing at school events,” Sutton said.

According to Scott, she is looking forward to a big turnout, especially since this is the first time the Honey Bears have hosted this kind of clinic.

“The girls are excited to see the girls interested in joining the team next year,” Scott said. “This is the inaugural year for The Honey Bear Experience, but I am hoping to continue doing it every year in the future.”

Marie Vezina, Writer

I'm 17 and I enjoy long romantic walks to the fridge.

Caitlyn Permenter, Writer

I'm 16, I love photography, and American Horror Story^~^