Construction Makes Headway

Caution+tape+is+now+a+common+sight+around+campus.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Construction Makes Headway

Caution tape is now a common sight around campus.

Kourtney Baldwin

Kourtney Baldwin

Kourtney Baldwin

Bailey Noah, PR Manager

Almost three years after the bond passed to finance the reconstruction of the campuses, the high school is starting to make building progress. The construction has been an ongoing, active project.

“Most of the work that has been going on for several months is underground, so most people do not see the progress that is being made,” Assistant Superintendent Greg Perry said. “For example,  the storm sewer is a huge underground piece. Even pieces of the foundation such as piers and grade-beams are underground and poured before the foundation.  Once the foundation is completed, you will see a lot more progress.”

The administration works with the construction manager every day, which allows themselves to be directly involved in the decisions being made for the school.

“Specifically at the campus level, campus administrators are involved not only with helping to determine floor plans, colors (paint, flooring), etc. but, they also work closely with contractors on daily scheduling of events,” Perry said. “The district administration is very involved in the construction.  Decisions must be made daily on various aspects in the construction.  Walk-throughs are made to view construction progress and progress meetings are held every other Thursday.”

The campus needs many improvements, but the sidewalks and hallways required the most modifications.

“It is difficult for the general public to tell the poor condition when driving by on Hwy 87 because LCM High School has always been a very pretty campus with lots of trees,” Perry said. “However, the narrow interior hallways and exterior slippery sidewalks have needed improvement for several years.”

Although the rain has been an obstacle to overcome, the progress of the construction is going well.

“The completion dates have been a moving target lately with all the rain,” Perry said. “The new administration area on the Hwy 87 side is still supposed to be completed by the time school starts next year.  The new gym should be completed at some point during next school year.  They will be working on the interior quadrangle area at the same time, but that area probably still has about a year and a half to go.”

Although it has been a lengthy process, the new school will be beneficial to both students and teachers. They will be able to thrive in a safe and comfortable environment.

“It will be wonderful when all of the bond projects in the district are completed and students and teachers are enjoying the new and improved facilities,” Perry said. “On a personal note, the thing that I most look forward to is not having to deal with the construction problems the arise on a daily basis.”

Bailey Noah, Editor

I enjoy meeting people, being a member of many great organizations the school has to offer, and making people laugh. I am a senior editor, a lover of music,...