Construction Project in Full Force

Students+have+had+to+adapt+to+the+construction+changes+on+campus.+

Kourtney Baldwin

Students have had to adapt to the construction changes on campus.

Valen Elliott, Clubs Editor

The two-year construction project is underway and many students may wonder what specific changes are occurring on campus.

“As you can see, when walking around the high school, most of the progress to date has been in demolishing existing buildings and side walks,” Assistant Superintendent Greg Perry said.
     Some progress has not been very easily noticed, though. Over the summer, the old practice gym was turned into the “Lunch Box,” a new temporary cafeteria. During this fall semester, the quadrangle area, new gym, and front administration area will have their foundations prepared.
    “The part inside the quadrangle will take longer than other sections because of all existing things that are buried,” Perry said. “As contractors dig in that area, they discover lines that no one knew were there, so that is slowing them down.”
    Perry hopes that by the time school is out this year, the foundations will be poured and steel will be up.
   “Another development that will be made this year is the new mechanical pad outside Dr. Estes’ office,” Perry said.
    The mechanical pad is where all new HVAC equipment will be located.
“There will definitely be changes in classrooms and walkways as new classrooms get built,” Perry said. “Unfortunately, none of that is expected to occur in this school year.”
    All of the new covered walkways and the new restrooms are just temporary during construction. Once the construction is complete, all access to classrooms will be interior hallways (except to get out to the Career and Technology Building and what is, for now, the temporary library.)
     “It is hard to know what things will look like when school starts next year, but my guess is that the gym and administration areas will either be complete or very close,” Perry said. “Hopefully everything will be completed by the beginning of the 2017-18 school year.”