Students, Faculty Adapt to Changes on Campus

Woody Cox

The Battlin’ Bear Band drumline makes adjustments to their practice as they watch the nearby construction.

Bailey Noah, PR Manager

The 2015-2016 school year is already one like no other. All returning and new students of LCM were initially shocked at the construction happening all over campus.

A new atmosphere at school can affect students, ranging from the way they dress to the amount of energy they have left at the end of a day. Though all students are working to manage these adjustments, it may be a bit more challenging for this year’s graduating seniors.

“I felt like a freshman on the first day of school,” senior Sheridan Rodgers said. “I would want to go to the B hall for a class, only to realize halfway, it had moved to the F hall. Some advantages are that we got better bathrooms and the leniency on tardiness.”

Freshman Gabby Bell found that her first day of school was different than she had imagined.

“The most helpful people in learning my way around were the upperclassmen,” Gabby said. “I wasn’t expecting getting to classes to go smoothly so it was kinda hectic the first day, but it went way better than expected.”

Not only has the move affected students, but it has also affected the campus’ teachers as well. Theatre Director Cory Broom is a great example.

“The construction has affected everyone on campus and it has made things a little more difficult for theatre students as well,” Broom said. “In the past, it was very convenient to walk from my classroom to the auditorium in a matter of seconds. Now that same walk takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Productions is adjusting but it’s really difficult for my technical theatre students as we have also lost our building space.”

Because of the construction, theatre students now have to walk around the school and enter the gym to get to their stage in the auditorium. Despite the challenges, Broom maintains a positive attitude.

“Every one is walking a lot more and we know that a bigger and better LCM is on the horizon, once the construction is complete,” Broom said. “I think they (students) are very tired every day when 3:45 comes, but this is the new normal for us here at LCM and I do think that most are trying to keep an optimistic outlook.”