Filed under Opinions

Technology Takes Over

Copy+Editor+Wendy+Cates+says+enough+is+enough+when+it+comes+to+using+cell+phones+in+the+classroom.+
Copy Editor Wendy Cates says enough is enough when it comes to using cell phones in the classroom.

L. Fruge

L. Fruge

As the years pass by, the technology changes just as quickly as students are growing. While students are fawning over their devices, they are quickly being pulled away from their studies. During class, students will take out their phones and message their friends, regardless of the rules and the teacher who is teaching the class.

The students’ only focus is on the posts people make about their food and their lattes, rather than on the important lesson that they need to learn. The need for learning is slowly deteriorating in students as they post about their latest itch on the back of their hand, which is obviously more important than school.

Students lack respect for their teachers who try to get them to pay attention by taking their phones and by their reactions, it’s like cutting off their hand. As they grow attached to their devices, the disrespect in students increases, as they are unable to comprehend the trouble they are causing, not just for the teachers but for themselves, as well.

The growth in technology, while proven useful, is a problem for students in schools across the country and it must be solved. Certain devices should not have been given to students unless they proved they were responsible enough to handle it. At least that is my opinion, but what’s done is done and it cannot be changed. Devices used inappropriately in school can, however, be taken away.

Cracking down on the rules and preventing the use of phones during school hours may help students’ education and increase their need for learning. Students should realize that their phones are not their entire lives and everything should not revolve around this small, over-used device. By always looking down, you could miss what is right in front of you.