Senior wins national recognition award

Senior+Haden+Gilley+was+recently+recognized+for+his+PSAT+scores.+

Gabrielle Moore

Senior Haden Gilley was recently recognized for his PSAT scores.

Marshall S. Braus, Sports Editor

Senior Haden Gilley recently won the National Hispanic Recognition Award. Students who are eligible for this award must have a 3.5 GPA or higher, have excelled on the PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10, or earned a score of three or higher on two or more AP exams. These National Recognitional Awards are given to students who are African American, Hispanic American or Latino, Indigenous, and /or attend school in a rural area or small town.

Gilley said he was stunned after hearing the news of getting this award.

“I was honestly shocked,” Gilley said. “I had been notified this past April that I may qualify for an academic honor, but I never thought I would actually receive it. I said why not, and I applied for it. Months went by and so when I found out I received the award, I was shocked but also excited for the opportunities it may bring.”

During his sophomore year, Gilley said he challenged himself by doubling up in honors math.

“Technically I was getting ahead, but for me it was more of a matter of catching up,” Gilley said. “On top of the extra math, I purchased the College Panda SAT as well as the writing books. Those helped a tremendous amount. I highly recommend them.”

Gilley’s plans for the future involve him getting both his PhD and his MD. He then plans to settle down in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as a practicing oncologist with a PhD to carry out cancer research. Gilly has set his current goals to attend college to pursue biochemistry. He hopes to graduate summa cum laude and attend a duel enrolled program at a more prestigious medical school. Afterward, Gilley plans to go off somewhere while he completes his residency and finally return to Texas, more specifically South Lake and work somewhere in Dallas.

According to Gilley, making his family proud of him helps him reach his goals, as well as doing his part to help others in the world – whether it is one patient at a time or helping develop a drug for hundreds in need.

“I just want to help people and do my part,” Gilley said.

Gilley is involved in a variety of activities at school, including being the vice president of Key Club. He is also a student ambassador for the Gift of Life program, Student Council member, and stage manager for the Bear Stage Players. He competes in UIL science and he attends Bear Believers every Wednesday. He is also a part of this year’s Grizzly Crew.

“These activities have not only bettered my leadership skills, which will translate well into life, but they have also helped develop my serving skills,” Gilley said. “They have helped me learn ways to better help serve my school, my community, and those around me.”