CTE open house to be held in February

An+open+house+will+be+held+Thursday%2C+Feb.+10.+

An open house will be held Thursday, Feb. 10.

LeAnn Rodgers, Writer

The new Secondary Curriculum Coordinator, Martha Morian, is helping shine some light on the CATE or CTE (Career and Technical Education) program at the high school by hosting an open house on Feb. 10 from 4:30-7:30. This event will be held at the high school and is open to the public. 

CATE classes include any course that is not considered core or fine arts. Some of these include health science, welding, culinary, and much more. These differ from the typical endorsements in the sense that endorsements offer a pathway to a career, and include the STEM classes and fine arts. CATE is its own category with some overlapping in the other categories.  

At the open house, members of the community will be able to see what goes on inside of the classrooms at the high school within the CTE department. The open house will consist of two parts; first, there will be a small tour for the board members from 4:30-5:30 to help the board members to get a better understanding of the programs. The second part, from 5:30-6:30, will be open to the public and this is where the community can come in and see how the programs work from a student’s point of view. Parents of current 8th graders will also be able to come in from 6:30-7:30 to see what kind of programs the high school offers. 

Each CTE course will have its own booth, run by students within that course. These students will be able to shed some light on what they have learned in that class, as well as other unique features of that particular course.

“I want [the student and community] to take away the knowledge of the amazing things that are going on here, that LCMHS and LCMCISD are making available to students,” Morian said.  

Morian said she hopes that with the CTE program, the students will be able to find a career and graduate high school with new opportunities. She also hopes that the programs the students will take will improve their social skills and get them ready for life after high school. Morian wants the students to experience all that they can in high school and figure out what works for them.  

“It’s all about success for our students, and preparing them for life after high school,” she said. “That’s what we do in education.”