Students compete in Stark Reading Contest

Several+students+recently+competed+in+the+Stark+Reading+Contest.+

Several students recently competed in the Stark Reading Contest.

Emily Day, Writer

The Stark Reading Contest was held on Sunday, March 3 in the school library. In the Declamation category, Darby Watson placed first and Ashlyn Ellis placed second. In the Interpretive category, Jordan Alexander placed first and Jadyn Stack placed second. 

The Miriam Lutcher Stark Contest in Reading and Declamation became a qualified scholarship program of the Stark Foundation in 1976. Since 1904, the competition held in schools has been an opportunity for students to enhance their literary and forensic skills.

“Stark Reading is an amazing opportunity for a person to not only get possible scholarship money but also compete with other amazing readers reading just as amazing pieces,” junior Jadyn Stack said.

Over 1,500 students competed in this event from 2001-2009 alone. The contest is held every spring at each of the five public schools in Orange.

“The history of Stark Reading is what first drew me to it,” sophomore Karlie Wedel said.

Contestants Weidel and Stack performed interpretive pieces, and are both planning on reading again next year.

“My piece for SRC was ‘Telling The Bees’ by Walt Whitman,” Wedel said. “I chose this piece because I am a beekeeper and felt a special connection to the tradition of telling the bees of a passed loved one.”

“I plan on doing Stark Reading next year because of the great opportunities offered,” Stack said. “I’m able to become comfortable speaking in front of others, possibly win a scholarship, and listen to intriguing pieces performed by other readers.”

For more information, visit: http://starkfoundation.org/reading-contest/