Students adjust to changes

Students+may+wear+jeans+with+holes%2C+but+those+holes+may+not+be+three+inches+above+the+knee.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students adjust to changes

Students may wear jeans with holes, but those holes may not be three inches above the knee.

Trinity Norwood

Trinity Norwood

Trinity Norwood

Grace Tally, Writer

In order to ensure safety throughout the school, some new changes in dress code are being enforced for the 2018-2019 school year.

Students may wear jeans with holes in them, but those holes cannot be three inches above the knee. Any hole above that must not show any skin. Hoods and hats are not to be worn at any time. Earbuds are not allowed in the hallways, but may occasionally be used in the classroom if the teacher allows it. Leggings are allowed, but must be worn with a shirt that reaches mid-thigh.

”I feel like if everyone gets on the same page, then we can all understand these rules together,” principal Ryan DuBose said. ”Half of it was students not listening, and teachers not being able to fight the battle. In my opinion, if you don’t enforce the small things, then what’s the point?”

According to DuBose, the importance of these rules is to keep students safe at all costs.

”If we stay consistent with these rules, LCM will be a place we can all feel safe, and the little things play a key role in making sure that happens,” DuBose said.

Though students may not always understand the significance of such rules, DuBose said he always has the best interest of the school in mind and these rules have always been in the handbook.

“I try to be genuine and have connections with my students, like knowing their names or going to their school events – things like that can make them understand that I’m not a bad guy,” DuBose said.

One of the most noticeable changes in enforcing the rules has been the lack of hats and earbuds.

”When I came last year, hats, hoodies, and earbuds were out of control,” DuBose said. “Honestly, with all the bad things that have been happening with schools, I think the students were ready for a change, to be able to feel safe at school, and that’s how it should be even if they resent the rules.”

DuBose said if people are consistent, then people will respect them and if they are not, then people will resent them.

“It all ties in with being responsible,” DuBose said. “If you learn how to follow rules at a young age, you will be able to follow the rules of your future jobs. It’s all part of a bigger picture.”

Grace Tally, Writer

My name is Grace, I like cats, Ginger Ale, and Gilmore.

Trinity Norwood, Photo Editor

I like sappy romance movies... Thats about it.
Also, Erika Lynette Cook is my bestie for the restie>>>