Students make All-Region Choir

Grace Tally, Writer

This past weekend, a number of students in the LCM Choir traveled to Nederland High School and tried out for All-Region Choir. Students who were selected are: Rachel Belcher, Abbey Brown, Aidan Croacker, Melanie Cupp, McKenzie Guillory, Luke Hanson, Elizabeth Johns, Aubree LeJeune, Hunter Perkins, Julian Purgahn, Connor Reno, Hailee Sawyer, Heidi Shaffer, Shelby Smith, Luke Spell, John Paul Sulak, Kaleb Swarers, Caleb Weaver, and Brock Winder.

Not only did some students qualify for All-Region, but 13 of the 19 students that made it will also advance to Area. 

”In this next round, there will be 12 students from each vocal part and only four from each will advance to Area competition,” choir teacher Nikki Hanson said. 

The students put forth a lot of work to prepare for the tryouts. The pieces are selected by the Texas Music Educator Association (TMEA) and the music is certified for the All-State process through the different levels of competition. The students learn their pieces and perform them for five different judges. 

”Students cannot see the judges because they are standing behind a sheet or tarp,” Hanson said. “Even though they cannot see the judges, it is a nervous task for sure. After everyone has sung, calculations are done and the students selected and advancing are announced.” 

To make All-Region, it takes preparation, practice, and confidence. Judges listen to see if the student knows the notes, words, and rhythms. They also listen for tone quality of the student’s voice and musicianship, such as dynamics, support of the notes, phrasing, and diction (how words are pronounced). 

“It is the goal for each student to strive in each of these areas,” Hanson said. “The more they express in their singing, the higher the points will be and they possibly will be selected to the All-Region Choir. I help the students by working with them in class to prepare them for what they need to know and how they need to perform. I also provide time for students to work individually with me.”

Even through the troubles of recent events, Hanson said she is proud of the hard work her students put forth. She and the students usually have one month when school starts to prepare for this competition, but this year she was only able to see the students for eight class rehearsals. 

I am proud of the hard work each student put forth.

“They were given a lot of information in a very short time and did a fantastic job,” Hanson said. 

According to Hanson, another challenge this year was that both pieces were in a foreign language, and the students learned to sing French and Latin. Despite the few obstacles that presented themselves, the students were highly successful.

“I am proud of the hard work each student put forth, and excited for this opportunity that they will have singing with students from all over our region,” she said. “I am looking forward to all the great things this year has to hold. I have a great group of students, and I am very blessed to be able to work with each and every one of them.”