Clubs bounce back

Student+Council+thanks+another+school+for+donating+money+and+supplies+after+the+storm.+

Stacey Smith

Student Council thanks another school for donating money and supplies after the storm.

Emily Glover, Writer

This year will be one to remember for many students involved in clubs and organizations within the school. Due to the destruction the storm has caused, the school’s starting date was pushed back several weeks, causing a majority of clubs’ activities to be delayed or cancelled, and their meetings to fit the new block schedule time.

Student Council was majorly impacted by having to move Homecoming up by a week, but still pulled through, and decided to even name the theme of Homecoming week to “Storming the Field.” Because of the trash piles causing an economic and safety issue along the route of the Homecoming parade, the parade was cancelled. To offset the cost of their upcoming fall convention, members recently received a monetary donation that they shared with MMS and LCJH’s student council. Student council members still feel very behind, but hope to catch up soon by meeting every Friday in the lecture room.

“This year must be a year of flexibility,” student council adviser Stacey Smith said. “It is an opportunity to maybe reinvent some things we have done in the past. We also look forward to teaming up with MMS and LCJH for campus-wide events. Our first joint project will be the Veteran’s Day celebration coming up on Nov. 10.”

This year must be a year of flexibility.

— Stacey Smith

As of now, the Interact Club has not had any severe changes in their plans for this year. However, they are changing the dues from $20 to $15 to make it easier for students. Meetings for the Interact Club are held on the first and third Wednesdays each month in the lecture room.

“We are looking forward to another great year,” Interact Club adviser Jill Shugart said. “Last year was our first year as a club, but it was amazing.”

Overall, Student Council and the Interact Club have been moving forward with the year, along with many other clubs and organizations. They are trying their very best to make due with what time they have been given to make sure students get the full experience, no matter the issue.

“There are still lots of adjustments taking place to accommodate the half day school schedule, and everyone is just now trying to do things they would have done after school and during daily class periods each day,” Smith said.  “There is lots of lost time to recoup for activities and sports that were accustomed to seeing their students daily and now do not on the block schedule.”