Faith around the fire

Brothers attend Christian summer camp

Eli+and+Lucas+Ridout+enjoy+another+day+at+Camp+Allen.+

Photo courtesy of Lucas Ridout

Eli and Lucas Ridout enjoy another day at Camp Allen.

Autumn Rendall, Writer

When some students picture their ideal summer break, days filled with no responsibilities and laziness often come to mind. However, summer is also a prime opportunity for pursuing one’s passions, or perhaps enjoying the great outdoors. For freshman Lucas Ridout and his brother, sophomore Eli Ridout, their perfect summer is spent at their home away from home – Camp Allen.

Camp Allen is a Christian summer camp located one hour northwest of Houston. Since the 3rd grade, the earliest age available for campers, the Ridout brothers have made this faith-building camp a priority in their lives by attending any and all programs they are able to. Each summer, kids of all ages from across Texas travel to Camp Allen to have the experience of a lifetime. 

“One of the things I love about Camp Allen is seeing everyone come together to worship God and have a great week,” Lucas said.

The boys’ father, Michael Ridout, has been a part of the Camp Allen community since he was a teenager, and he originally introduced Eli and Lucas to the camp. The Ridout boys have spent over a decade of summers with Camp Allen, and the place has truly become a huge part of their lives.

“Camp Allen has impacted me by making me a better and more loving person,” Lucas said. “I love seeing it do the same for other people.”

Camp Allen has impacted me by making me a better and more loving person.

— Lucas Ridout

Since the two have been an active part in the camp’s mission for so long, Eli and Lucas both hold leadership positions during these summer programs. Lucas has served under the “Floater” title, a staff member who is always making sure everything is going according to plan. Eli has served under “Floater,” but has also been an official counselor. The two plan to progress their leadership responsibilities as the summers continue. 

“I would say Camp Allen is a place that is full of God and love,” Eli said. “There is no bad part about it.”

Camp Allen is one of the largest summer camp programs in the Episcopal Church. Each summer, over 1,900 campers attend the summer program. The strong opportunity to develop one’s faith, along with the beautiful scenery the camp offers, brings campers closer together. According to Lucas, some of his most valued friendships have been made at Camp Allen. 

“One of my favorite Camp Allen memories is when Eli, two of our friends, and I altered the lyrics to some songs to serenade our friend Abby on her birthday,” Lucas said.

It’s strengthened my faith more than anything else has.

— Eli Ridout

One of the main reasons campers return to Camp Allen is its ability to unite all who attend and strengthen their relationship with God. The feeling of knowing the campers are not alone in this strange world is quite a blessing and is easily achieved among the stunning scenery of the camp. The Ridout brothers have become the young men they are today due to these programs, and they want all kids to experience the same joy Camp Allen has brought them.

“It’s strengthened my faith more than anything else has,” Eli said. “It’s connected me with friends I will know and love for the rest of my life, and it showed me what can be done while you have God on your side.”