A spring break dedicated to service

Back to Article
Back to Article

A spring break dedicated to service

Junior Meg Clark spent her spring break serving others.

Bayleigh Swanton

Bayleigh Swanton

Bayleigh Swanton

Bayleigh Swanton, Writer

While most kids focus on themselves during spring break and enjoy as little responsibility as possible, one junior’s spring break was all for the benefit and growth of others in their walk with God.

Junior Meg Clark was selected to be a “team member” of the Teen ACTS (adoration, community, theology, and service) Retreat over this spring break. The Teen ACTS Retreat was held in Beaumont at the Holy Family Retreat Center, one of the biggest retreats within the local catholic churches. Being asked to return to the retreat as a team member is a huge honor and has meant a lot to Clark. As both a retreat and team member, Clark has been able to create many meaningful relationships, while growing closer to God.

“It is an awesome weekend with Jesus and getting the opportunity to build new relationships while strengthening old ones,” Clark said. “Having been a retreatant and team member, the weekend allows you to experience God’s love and joy.”

The weekend allows you to experience God’s love and joy.”

— Meg Clark

Because this is such a huge retreat, the team members spare as much details about the daily activities as possible in order for everyone to make the most out of their personal experience. During the retreat, everyone is able to disconnect from the outside world and is able to put their undivided attention to the worship and service during the weekend.

“At an ACTS retreat we are able to disconnect and are able to be completely consumed in the heart of God with loving people and no outside distractions,” Clark said. “After a retreat, I return to my daily life on fire for Jesus, which inspires me to love more deeply.”

Clark does many things with the church programs on her free time and is involved in multiple events for the church. Along with being a team member for the ACTS retreat, she is a diocese youth team leader and a summer camp counselor. Leadership means a lot to Clark and she loves every part of it.

“My favorite part of serving is seeing the happiness it brings others and knowing that I am doing what Jesus taught,” Clark said. “Attending the ACTS retreat has affected my life in many ways. I always leave with my focus being on God and others.”

Angie Lathrop is the leader of the youth group at the church Clark attends. Lathrop attend the ACTS adult retreat over the break and was able to learn just as much as the teens. Lathrop highly recommends being part of the retreat to students within the youth program. She believes that students are able to learn so much and grow closer to God.

“I support the ACTS retreat for so many reasons,” Lathrop said. “It truly changed who I am and my outlook on faith, life, and humanity in general. ACTS doesn’t make your life perfect but if you open your heart and mind to what the holy spirit offers to you, then that can move mountains in your life.”

Lathrop has been able to see Clark grow from a member to a strong leader in the group. After attending ACTS her first year, Clark became more involved with the church. She has learned what an impact a good leader can have and how to use it to create bonds with anyone she meets.

“She is so strong in her faith and goes out of her way to make everyone feel welcome,” Lathrop said. “Meg realized the importance of leadership and does a great job to make sure everyone feels welcome.”

Clark is always working to benefit and uplift others as much as possible. With consistent dedication and work through the word of God, she is able to do the thing she loves the most and have an everlasting impact on many others.

“No one is perfect,” Clark said. “We all have our own set of problems. We all carry shame. Going to ACTS make you realize you are not alone, you are accepted as you are, and you are very loved. I would not have wanted to spend my spring break any other way.”

Bayleigh Swanton, Writer

My name is Bayleigh Swanton and I have three brothers, one sister, a three legged dog and my heart is almost as big as my family.