Baseball for a cause

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball for a cause

Junior Emily Landry helps Kyler Thayer swing the bat.

ASK

ASK

ASK

Cheyenne Pucheta, Writer

Many people enjoy being involved in some type of organization to serve the community and beyond. For most teenagers, they become involved in school clubs such as Key Club or Interact Club. But, for junior Emily Landry, she has found a unique opportunity to serve others outside of school clubs.

Landry volunteers each year in the Adaptive Sports for Kids (ASK) baseball tournament, an organization that gives children and young adults with special needs the opportunity to play sports they may not otherwise be able to play. The event provides Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Tae Kwon Do, and Cheer to kids with any disabilities. Landry, along with her youth group, has been volunteering at the ASK tournament for the past five years.

“It’s an amazing feeling to know that something as simple as tossing them a ball and being their friend makes them so happy,” Landry said.

Landry said she has always had a soft spot for special needs kids and loves baseball as well, so she was naturally drawn to the opportunity to take part in this yearly event. This event provides buddies so the parents can just sit and watch their children play and interact with others.

“I always have players come to me and ask me to be their buddy because they remembered me,” Landry said.

According to Landry, this experience has given her a career path, new friendships, and amazing memories. She plans on becoming a Speech Pathologist, a language therapist who specializes in the evaluation and treatment of communication disorders, cognition, voice disorders, and swallowing disorders. Part of this job would include having to interact with those who have mental and speech disorders.

“I am very close with the players,” Landry said. “I still keep in touch with one of them, a 4 year old named Kyler with Cystic Fibrosis and autism.”

Participating in something like Adaptive Sports for Kids every year is bound to give someone an amazing experience and memories. It is something that helps kids experience new things and helps them make new friends while having fun. Landry said it is hard to pick a favorite memory because all of her experiences with the organization have been so wonderful.

“I just know that I will never forget how great it feels to be a part of so many kids happiness,” she said.

Cheyenne Pucheta, Writer

Hey, I'm Cheyenne, You're probably looking at this horrible picture thinking, "Man she looks pretty cool, dude." and I would probably agree with that statement...

1 Comment

One Response to “Baseball for a cause”

1. Peggy Hale on March 30th, 2017 11:55 am

Emily Landry’s first grade teacher is very proud of her involvement with special needs children. What a great article and wonderful goal Emily has for herself. She was always goal-oriented and self-motivated. I know we will hear great things from Emily.

*

• Baseball for a cause

Bear of the Week: Tyler Comeaux

• Baseball for a cause

Bear of the Week: Nyah Patel

• Baseball for a cause

Staff member sees the world a little differently

• Baseball for a cause

Football team advances to playoffs

• Baseball for a cause

Bear of the Week: Cam Davis

• Baseball for a cause

LCM alum strives to make difference

• Baseball for a cause

Student section gains newfound spirit

• Baseball for a cause

Bear of the Week: Lakin Adkins

• Baseball for a cause

Band to compete at State this week

• Baseball for a cause

Senior to compete at state cross country meet

Baseball for a cause