• Freshmen and JV football at home this Thursday

• Football at HJ this Friday

• Volleyball at Silsbee this Friday

One Act Play prepares for district

Sydney+Smith+portrays+Helen+Keller+in+the+One+Act+Play+%22The+Miracle+Worker.%22+
Sydney Smith portrays Helen Keller in the One Act Play

Sydney Smith portrays Helen Keller in the One Act Play "The Miracle Worker."

Alora Jones, Writer

The One Act Play company, which will be performing “The Miracle Worker,” is currently preparing for its district competition on March 9.

Auditions for the show were held right before Christmas break and rehearsals began the first day back to school on Jan. 9. The company has had numerous hours of practice since then and has been to three clinics. At the clinics, they received suggestions on how to improve the show from clinicians with extensive theatre backgrounds.

“I think the most important thing to take out of the clinics we have gone to, is that no matter how ready you feel or how good you think you are, there is always room to improve,” theatre director Clark Reed said. “Always some minor detail that can be polished up. A play is like a diamond, the more you polish and perfect the details the more brilliant it becomes.”

“The Miracle Worker” is a dramatic story about Annie Sullivan teaching the blind and deaf Helen Keller. Reed said he considered several different plays for the company, but decided “The Miracle Worker” would be the best fit for the students. He believed that the play would show off their talents, but simultaneously challenge them as well.

“I have always loved this play,” Reed said. “It is such an amazing story. No matter how many times I watch it or read it, the play gives me chills every time.”

The company rehearses three times a week from 4-6 p.m.  In class, they either rehearse the play or focus on scene work. They also do intense character development, such as research into the history of the characters, the time period of the play, and the character relationships.

“Personally, I have had to do a lot of research on what it is like to be blind and also about the life of Helen Keller and her family,” senior Sydney Smith said.

Smith believes the cast will do well because they have a really talented group that cares about their art and each other. She also said when everyone does their job, things go very well. Going into district, the company is experiencing a whirlwind of emotions ranging from nervousness to excitement. As of now, they feel very prepared and are interested to hear the audience’s reaction.

“I’m most looking forward to seeing how far we’ve progressed and receiving feedback,” freshman Lucas Ridout said. “I feel it will go well. We have poured months into this show and I think it will be well received.”

The company’s motto for success is to deliver a play that is “done as well as it can be done.” Reed believes that the talented and dedicated group has put together a beautiful show and must be on their game to reclaim the district title next week.

According to senior Kaylee Pattillo, the program has created many friendships and amazing memories.

“I genuinely love being apart of the LCM theatre,” Pattillo said. “I have been in the program for almost four years now and I would not change it for the world. I love OAP season and while it is all coming to an end, I am thankful to have spent my high school career dedicated to such an amazing program.”