Education Foundation hands out grants

Sherry Combs

Babs Foster received a grant on Feb. 13 from the Education Foundation.

Alora Jones, Writer

Every year the Education Foundation hands out grants to teachers who apply for items that will improve their classrooms. On Feb. 13, the foundation handed out two grants on the high school campus.

Family and consumer science teacher Babs Foster received a grant for an updated embroidery machine and vinyl cutting machine. History teacher Sharon Courmier received a grant for alternative seating in the classroom.Foster applied for a grant for an updated embroidery machine and vinyl cutting machine because computer controlled design is a 21st century skill in the fashion industry. Having students create designs will train them in implementing design software.

“I will be able to address advanced TEKS in my classroom that have to do with design and production, fashion trends and the impact of technology on the design industry,” Foster said. “Approximately 70-80 students will benefit by this equipment each year.”

Approximately 70-80 students will benefit by this equipment each year.

— Babs Foster

Courmier requested a grant for alternative seating because she feels that if students learn in bean bag chairs, video game rocker chairs, couches and hoop chairs they will retain more information. She believes not having students sitting in desks will change the environment of her classroom and create a more relaxing atmosphere.

“Studies have shown that when students are more relaxed they learn and retain more, so it was my hope that by having more comfortable seating for my students they will be able to not just learn the material better but be able to retain easier,” Courmier said.

Foster and Courmier said they were very excited to receive their grants. The Foundation is beneficial for numerous teachers, since they are unable to purchase everything they need for their classrooms. They should be receiving the items they were granted within the next few weeks.

“LCMCISD is blessed to have an Education Foundation that encourages and supports its teachers,” Foster said. “Not all school districts have a group of individuals that go over and beyond to fund raise tens of thousands of dollars to ensure teachers are warranted an opportunity to receive funds for items that deem important in their classrooms.”