Titles are what judgmental people use

Sophomore+Erika+Cook+touches+on+judging+others.+

L. Fruge

Sophomore Erika Cook touches on judging others.

Erika Cook, Writer

Fact: people are judgmental. As some grow up, they learn to accept the fact of judgment, but others are affected so much that they avoid being seen in fear of being judged. The really dumb thing is the reasoning behind some people’s judgments. Some people take opinions, thoughts and feelings and make fun of them because they have different ones. Some take family problems, religion, and even politics and fight over the fact that they have different standards or mind sets.

This world is full of different beliefs on whether there is a God, who the president should be, or whether a baby in the womb is a human. How is it possible to get in a disagreement when these are personal opinions, that if you try as hard as you can, you won’t be able to budge the opinions of your opponent? Not only do you risk any relationship you can or will have, but you risk hurting this person’s feelings.

Personally, I’ve grown up being judged because of the fact that I believe and go to a church that others do not. Humans are different; they have different thoughts. I remember an experience where a kid I actually respected made fun of me in front of my friends. My religion is something dear to my heart and when people know that, they use this as a target to make themselves feel better. This person, whom people respected, said a comment about these nice young men and women knocking down doors to “force teach” others. I had more than one friend in the congregation, but none of them said a thing. I was overcome with anger. My religion was something I truly loved and wasn’t afraid of showing, but someone took it and broke it. Not only did it hurt me, but it also made me question what I believed.

Not only have I been disrespected by people I hardly know, but even by my own friends. Usually it was fine, due to the fact that they are my friends and they were joking, but eventually it took a toll on me. Being discriminated by people that I thought I could confide in tore me. Eventually I would get fed up and leave. I would literally stand up from our lunch table and go to class early. It took me forever to be able to stand up for myself without feeling judged over my beliefs.

Some people don’t just have opinions, but they also have special ways to express themselves. Expressing yourself through clothes is something people are usually proud of. But again, people don’t care about that; they only care about their own problems and insecurities and want to make others feel the same. A friend of mine had an experience that still gets her in a mindset and affects her today. A friend of hers took one look at her outfit and judged her. Not only did she comment about the outfit, but she also attacked the person she was because of it. Situations like this happen daily to average people everywhere and it’s honestly really sad. After these ordeals, people are challenged to find themselves because they are so worried about what others have to say.

As humans, we have the tendency to want to fit in with the crowd around us instead of focusing and figuring out our true colors. People are so different. They have their special personalities but are scared to embrace it and show it off like the special snowflakes they are.

When situations like these arise, let others stand up and show the world who they truly are and what they believe in. We are all trying to figure out our places in life, so if we accept who people are and what they stand for, we can be more accepting. People may not sit around a camp fire singing Kumbaya, but they can appreciate who people are and what they stand for easier. This world can be a special place where people can feel comfortable in their own skin.