Junior exceeds expectations

Junior+Spencer+Johns+earned+his+letterman+jacket+as+a+freshman.+

Bayleigh Swanton

Junior Spencer Johns earned his letterman jacket as a freshman.

Bayleigh Swanton, Writer

When being involved in as many school sponsored clubs as possible, maintaining all A’s, and finding more time to be involved in even more activities outside of school, a high school student may barely find time to breathe. However, junior Spencer Johns manages to do it all.

Johns is involved in many school sponsored activities and clubs. He was recently inducted into the school’s chapter of the National Honor Society during the fall of 2016.  He is also a member of the school’s Varsity golf team, Key Club, and he has been a part of the U.I.L Current Events team since his freshman year. During his first year on the team, Johns advanced to the State Academic U.I.L meet, as both an individual and with his team. He is also an officer in Student Council and is currently serving as the junior class president.

“It is a lot of managing priorities,” Johns said about balancing his extracurricular activities and schoolwork.

Johns has been a part of Student Council since his freshman year and became class president at the beginning of his junior year. Thanks to his outstanding leadership abilities, he had the opportunity to attend a Rotary Club sponsored leadership camp over the past winter break.

“I have to present myself in a model manner for a student,” Johns said. “It’s a great thing that I won’t forget anytime soon.”

While being this involved takes being able to manage one’s time accordingly, Johns said he makes sure he has time to do things he enjoys outside of school. He is a volunteer at the Beaumont Entergy Museum during the summer and also volunteers at the local libraries. Johns is also an active Eagle Scout, as of Oct. 29, 2016. Johns has been in boy scouts since the first grade and said it has become a huge part of his life.

“It influences me and my work ethics, and reminds me good things take time,”  Johns said.

Even though Johns finds many things to take up his time, he said he always finds time to study for his academic U.I.L activities. Johns is currently ranked fourth in the state for U.I.L current events and issues. He has also advanced with his team for the past two years. The event has a very time consuming study strategy, requiring him to study all year round.

“It felt great to advance both team and individual to state,” Johns said. “It felt like we had accomplished something bigger than each of us.”

If Johns ever finds free time, he enjoys writing his own novels, reading, and playing the piano.

“I enjoy doing all those things as much as I can, but very little free time allows it,” he said.

Because of his achievements, Johns has already received many scholarship opportunities and even earned scholarships through winning the Stark Reading Contest. He is currently looking into many colleges. During his college years, he plans to major in computer sciences and software engineering. He has yet to make plans on where he plans to live and work, but he already knows that his dream job would be to create software for big companies.

“The whole process just fascinates me,” Johns said.