• Freshmen and JV football at home this Thursday

• Football at HJ this Friday

• Volleyball at Silsbee this Friday

New Book Club breaks ground

The+new+Book+Club+would+like+to+encourage+any+fellow+readers+to+join.+
The new Book Club would like to encourage any fellow readers to join.

Pixabay.com

Pixabay.com

Kayla Dean, Writer

Not all students are as interested in books as some of their peers are, mainly because they just do not see the appeal of staring at hundreds of tiny words for long periods of time. Others may not know how to approach those who are interested in the same literature and may be afraid of saying the wrong thing.

Junior Zoee Rogers saw this struggle in her fellow classmates and took it upon herself to create a place for all those interested in books to interact with one another. With the help of high school librarian Charlette Roddy, Rogers was able to start a book club that allows book lovers to come together and discuss their favorite novels with others who share the same interests.

“I started the book club in part due to my own love of books, but largely because of the conversations I was having with my classmates,” Rogers said. “I began to realize that there were so many kids with a passion for reading and none of us had a place to truly express that passion. The whole purpose of the book club is to enjoy books and connect with others who share the same appreciation for the written word.”

None of us had a place to truly express that passion.”

— Zoee Rogers

Not only will the Book Club members enjoy the exciting worlds hidden within their books, they will also partake in various activities pertaining to their novels. Whether it be by watching book based films, writing book reviews or freely discussing unknown authors, members will be able to voice their literary ideals.

“We will be doing many fun activities within the club, such as movie days where everyone can voice their grievances or praises of the book to movie transformation, novel challenges and book festivals,” Rogers said. “Our biggest responsibility as a group will be promoting literacy and educating the general public about everything books have been through and been a part of. Black History Month will feature famous black authors, banned book  week will be focused on all those books that were once illegal to read, and so on. Throughout the year we will be working on all sorts of library displays and literacy initiatives.”

One of Book Club’s goals is to introduce others into the adventure of a good book. Many students do not see the appeal of reading, but club members feels it is most likely because they just have not found the right book.

Every book has a whole world within itself.”

— Zoee Rogers

“Every book has a whole world within itself, its characters become real, the struggles of the heroes can change your own views and tug at your heart,” Rogers said. “Being able to share that experience with another person can be really exciting. Book Club is the opportunity to let the reader inside come out of his or her shell and better experience the world of books.”

The club, which consists of about 20 members, has already nominated Rogers as their president and junior Derick Chilo as their vice president.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing the whole club come together,” Rogers said. “We’re looking to add a scribe and possible other officers.”

The club is about to start reading its first novel, “Every Last Word.” Right now members meet during lunch, but they are planning on have an after-school mixer soon.

“The mixer will serve as the perfect opportunity for everyone to get acquainted,” Rogers said. “With a relatively large group like ours it can be daunting for people to get to know each other, so I’m hoping the party atmosphere of the event will help to calm nerves and allow genuine connections to form among members.”