Soccer team sets ambitious goals

Junior+Seth+Brown+helps+his+team+to+a+victory+in+the+Jasper+tournament.+

Photo courtesy of LCM Bear Soccer

Junior Seth Brown helps his team to a victory in the Jasper tournament.

Erika Cook, Writer

For some, cold weather means being bundled up in layers of wool and jackets. For others, it simply means the beginning of soccer season.

The Varsity Bear Soccer team, which begins district play on Feb. 3, has prepared for this season by playing in many tournaments and non-district games.The Bears went 4-1 in the Jasper tournament to bring home third place and the players have been working hard toward certain goals they would like to accomplish this season.

“Our goal is always to improve with each week,” head coach Jeremy Watzlavik said. “However the results may turn out at the end of the season/playoffs, if we continue to improve, the season was a success.”

If we continue to improve, the season was a success.

— Jeremy Watzlavik

Aside from the team’s goal to improve throughout the season, the players also have various milestones they would like to reach individually.

“My goal for this year is to improve as much as possible and work with my team to bond in playing and friendship,” sophomore Julian Purgahn said.

The Bears set the bar high last year by not only advancing to the Regional quarterfinals, but also getting ranked very high in the state of Texas.

“Our boys soccer program has won district and advanced to the Regional quarterfinals on multiple occasions,” Watzlavik said. “The current team is ranked No. 2 in our region and No. 10 in the state of Texas.”

As head coach, Watzlavik said he has had many proud moments throughout the years, but nothing compares to the pride he has toward his team.

“The biggest accomplishment in soccer is always to bring together players and create a cohesive unit and extended family,” Watzlavik said. “I am proud of many moments throughout the years. Each year I am proud when my team progresses their skill throughout the course of the season. This feeling never ceases and reoccurs every year.”

Watzlavik said he has many leaders on the team that contribute to their success, as well as individuals who bring unique skills to the playing field, such as team captains Daniel Perkins, Seth Brown and Samir Zambrano.

“These three young men are great leaders on and off the field,” Watzlavik said. “I appreciate their dedication to their teammates and the program. This team is a well-oiled machine. Each  player brings individual skill sets and personalities to the table and each of these individuals mold into a cohesive unit.”

This team is a well-oiled machine.

— Jeremy Watzlavik

Just as the captains do their best to be examples for the rest of the team, other individuals have stepped up as well.

“Jackson Baeza and Miguel Zambrano have made the biggest impression on me, and stood out the most to me,” Purgahn said. “They are always willing and wanting to help or work out with you.”

With district quickly approaching, the Bears are looking to advance once again to the State playoffs, all while having fun and entertaining those in the stands.

“All students need to come and participate in watching us play and to support our school,” Baeza said. “It is a beautiful game and it is most beautiful when it is shared.”

The Bears will face off against Bridge City  at 7 p.m. this Friday, Feb. 3 at Battlin’ Bear Stadium.