Campus construction makes progress

Construction+at+the+high+school+has+made+a+lot+of+progress+this+school+year.+

Alora Jones

Construction at the high school has made a lot of progress this school year.

Alora Jones, Writer

Many changes have taken place on campus this school year, due to the $56 million bond that was passed in 2013 for all six LCMCISD campuses. The purpose of the bond was to improve security, technology and structural support, increase energy conservation, and create secure main entrances.

The construction on the high school commenced last school year. Once the construction is complete on campus, the high school will have a new gym, cafeteria, offices, and connected buildings eliminating exterior walkways. So far, the new offices have been completed, the structure for the gym has been built, and the old practice gym has been converted into a temporary cafeteria.

Over the holidays, the quad walls were put up, the gym was painted, and preparation for the new cafeteria, new art room, new nurses station, and new library occurred. All of the walls for the new classrooms are completed and stone has been set.

“Mostly the new walls in the quad and the painting of the gym were worked on over the holidays,” principal Todd Loupe said. “We are still working on what classrooms to move.”

Currently, the back driveway by the cafeteria is being demolished, along with the old offices. The canopy is being removed and the quad has made many advances.

“Right now the biggest changes that students see or the tearing up of the back driveway and the removal of the canopy near the old cafeteria,” Loupe said. “Most of the work is going on where we cannot see.  The old office has been completely demolished and the new construction in the quad has made a lot of progress.”

New classrooms are expected to open around Spring Break. Then renovation will start on the F-hall Science labs. These significant changes in a short amount of time are due to the fact that more workers are on the job and are now being able to work in the rain due to roofs that have been built.

“They are bringing in multiple crews to help stay on schedule,” assistant principal Steve Lisbony said. “There are weekly meetings with construction crews and school district personnel to give updates and make changes as needed.”

The construction of the gym is being deferred to help complete the quad at a faster pace. The gym is still expected to be completed by the end of this school year. Within the next couple of months, students will be able to walk through the quad and alternative paths to the Spanish hallway, 200 hallway, and nurses office will be made. This will make the commute from one side of the campus to other much quicker.

“Some time after Spring Break we are expecting the quad to be completely finished,” Loupe said. “When that is complete students will be able to go into the new gym lobby and be able to reach most classrooms without traveling outside!”