Senior takes leadership to next level

Dalan Jones shows off pride for his future university.

Autumn Rendall, Writer

Leadership is a hard quality to achieve and finding it in youth is even harder. However, for senior Dalan Jones this has never been a problem. Jones has had quite the impact on his peers and teachers, and plans to impact the world even more. 

Jones has always been actively involved in school, but this year he was able to become the Vice President of the Interact Club he helped start. He’s a member of the National Honor Society, a part of the LCM UIL One Act Play Team, a member of the UIL Current Events Team, and even the senior class president. Jones said that theatre has been one of the highlights of being in high school, but he enjoys all clubs equally.

“I just love being able to lead people,” he said. 

Extracurricular organizations aren’t the only activities Jones has on his plate. He is also a part of many honors, AP, and Dual Enrolled classes and has had to learn how to juggle everything. 

“It’s all about time management,” Jones said. “I know I don’t do that to the best of my ability sometimes but spreading myself out and not doing everything at once helps me be successful.”

It’s all about time management.”

— Dalan Jones

Like most seniors, Jones is also preparing for the transition out of high school and into the real world. He has many big dreams in his future and said he is prepared to work hard for them.

“In ten years I hope to have graduated from college with my Aerospace Engineering Degree from Texas A&M University,” Jones said. “I want to use that degree in some form of business. Business has always been a passion of mine – taking those skills and being able to use those in any form of leading. I’ve always wanted to be involved in politics. I see myself working for a large aerospace corporation and eventually working from there and starting my own engineering firm.”

Even though Jones is a busy student, he makes sure to enjoy his free time. Along with joking around with friends and playing XBOX, he also makes time for some of his biggest passions that are related to his future career.

“I like to do anything with business involved in the community with my dad, which has been a gateway to my career,” Jones said. “I also like to read stuff on the internet. I’m really interested in space, which relates to my major.”

Jones said his father is also involved in business and has served as an important role model in his life.

“The person who has the most impact on me is definitely my dad,” Jones said. “He’s driven me to be the best that I can be and given me a lot of valuable skills that I can use in the future and that I’ve been able to use already.”

Following your dreams and having the mentality to actively pursue them is something many students hope to accomplish and Jones has some advice for those striving for success.

Never sell yourself short.”

— Dalan Jones

“Never sell yourself short, and don’t ever give up,” Jones said. “People often get distracted by day to day things and think they’re not worth enough, but there’s more to it than that. You gotta keep pushing through those hard times. They say the sky’s the limit, but space exists.”