Golden Triangle to host Christmas family festivities

Back to Article
Back to Article

The KCS Holiday Express Train will be down Houston Avenue in  Port Arthur on Dec. 8.

The KCS Holiday Express Train will be down Houston Avenue in Port Arthur on Dec. 8.

Alora Jones and Zoee Rogers

You are sitting at the house with nothing to do and Netflix is getting old; the fridge has been checked five times in the last hour. It may be Saturday in the middle of December, but the Christmas spirit seems to only be present in the TV commercials – the same ones that have been driving everyone insane since Black Friday. Is there anything other 70 percent off shoes and handbags to look forward to during Christmas? Actually, there is – if one knows where to look.

All over the Golden Triangle, exciting things are being planned, scheduled, and advertised. Closest to home, Orange offers an array of Christmas activities. “Broadway Christmas Wonderland,” an enchanting holiday show featuring Santa and his elves, will be performed on Dec. 22 at the Lutcher Theatre. Before that, there will be a Christmas stroll at Shangri La with festive lights and Christmas trees along the pathways from Dec. 8-Dec. 30. On Dec. 10, Shangri La will host “Dreaming of a Green Christmas,” which is an all-day affair of meeting Santa and Mrs. Claus, and creating ornaments and wreaths. Tonight, Orange will host its annual Christmas parade downtown. On the day of the parade, activities for children will be occurring on 7th street. At North Orange Baptist Church on Dec. 9-10, a village of the nativity scene will be set up for the community to walk through. Then on Dec. 16-18, Orange Trade Days will have a Christmas shopping market complete with vendors, Santa Claus, ornament painting, an ugly Christmas sweater contest, and games.

Other communities in the area will also be showing their Christmas cheer. Orangefield will have a Christmas parade on Dec. 12 down FM 105 with a festival following at the Cormier Museum. On Dec. 10, Vidor will host a Christmas parade at Capitol One Bank complete with vendors, food, a Christmas tree lighting, and a street dance. Bridge City will be having its 8th annual Christmas Light Parade beginning at the First Baptist Church on Dec.10. Following the parade will be a viewing of Polar Express in the lawn behind Bridge City Bank. On Dec. 13, Nederland will be having its annual Christmas parade down Boston Avenue. Port Arthur will host the KCS Holiday Express train down Houston Avenue on Dec. 8. The festively decorated six-car train includes an array of Christmas activities, Santa, and his elves.

Beaumont is also hosting many holiday events for all ages. At the Texas Energy Museum on Dec. 8, a childrens holiday party and a tree lighting ceremony will be held. A Christmas candlelight tour will be held on Dec. 9 at The John Jay French Museum. The Golden Triangle Church on the Rock will host a Christmas fest on Dec. 9 complete with games, music, and puppet shows. Boomtown Museum will also host a  historical Christmas celebration with Santa, carols, and crafts on Dec. 10

On Dec. 9, an “Elf” movie viewing will take place at the Jefferson Theatre and then on Dec. 16 the theatre will be showing the Christmas Story; entry is set to be $5. Don’t forget breakfast; Pancakes for Santa & His Heroes will be served at Applebee’s, located on Dowlen road on Dec.10. The Chambers House will be hosting a Christmas tour on Dec. 15. The Eggnog Evening will be held on Dec. 15 at the McFaddin-Ward House, where all are welcome and admission is free. On Dec. 16, a Tacky Christmas Sweater Fun Run and Party will be held and participation is free. 

The Golden Triangle is ready to give families the opportunity to try something new this holiday season. Whether its watching Christmas Classics on the big screen, sharing a special meal, or joining in on creative holiday activities, there’s a little something for everyone.

Alora Jones, News Editor

I like long walks on the beach, tanning in the sun for hours, and staying up till the break of dawn. Just kidding, I like to stay inside, read many books,...

Zoee Rogers, Writer/Photographer

Hey, I'm a Leo (if you're familiar with the star signs ;) forever and always in love with the arts, especially Photography (my specialty :) and honesty...