• Freshmen and JV football at home this Thursday

• Football at HJ this Friday

• Volleyball at Silsbee this Friday

Number one fans

Bleacher Creatures show support for students

Senior Jaden Lewis and teacher Melanie Claybar's children are involved in the Bleacher Creature program.

Alora Jones, Writer

LCM has a new organization called Bleacher Creatures, which pairs students in Pre-K through 5th grade with a high school student who is involved in Friday night activities such as football, volleyball, cheer, Honey Bears, band/color guard, and Grizzly Crew. The younger kids can make cards, posters, and give goodies to their buddy at games and pep rallies.

According to activities director Stacey Smith, the program was created as a unity type project between campuses and to give elementary students the opportunity to provide direct support for high school students.

“Mentor type programs are usually the older student supporting the younger one in some way,” Smith said. “Bleacher Creatures give the younger students the feeling of ownership and that their friend is looking forward to seeing them at pep rallies, games etc. Bleacher Creature buddies may also go visit at the elementary campuses like Bear Buddies.”

The Bleacher Creatures program is an opportunity for the younger students who are not assigned Bear Buddies to have a similar experience with an older friend. This program also allows the younger students to be the ones to support the older students.

“The purpose of Bleacher Creatures is to make a positive connection between high school students and students on the LCE, LCI and MVE campuses,” Smith said.

Communication between the child’s parent and the high school student is required to make the initial contact.

“The group and activity determine how and when Bleacher Creatures and their buddies meet up,” Smith said. “Some (meet) before or after pep rallies, some (meet at) halftime, some after games or football players can give their buddies a special high five as they come through the tunnel.”

The high school students are very excited about this program and look forward to a positive experience for everyone, while building school spirit in the community.

“I hope to be a positive influence on my Bleacher Creature and make them excited for high school and Friday night lights,” senior Valen Elliott said.