Students selected for All-Region Jazz Band

Several+members+of+the+band+were+selected+to+be+part+of+the+All-Region+Jazz+Band.+
Several members of the band were selected to be part of the All-Region Jazz Band.

J. Ochoa

J. Ochoa

Cheyenne Pucheta and Krislynn Tapley

On Saturday, Sept 17, the Battlin’ Bear Band held the UIL All-Region Jazz Band auditions at the high school campus. Several of the band’s own students auditioned for and were selected to be in the UIL All-Region Jazz Band. Those students include: Pierce Rendall (sophomore), Tyler Miller (junior), Hunter Fuselier (sophomore), Akhil Tejani (sophomore), Christian Adams (junior), Logan Comeaux (senior), Tommy Holland (junior), Julian Purgahn (sophomore), Devyn Drake (junior), Kolby Perkins (senior), Kace Smith (sophomore).

“It felt rewarding to see our students’ hard work pay off,” band director Jose Ochoa said. “They have been practicing a lot in preparation for this audition. We set high goals, and feel great when we are able to accomplish them.”

It felt rewarding to see our students’ hard work pay off.”

— Jose Ochoa

The jazz band consists of brass, woodwind, and rhythm instruments that come together to make a different style of music.

The jazz All-Region audition is a process where students from schools within the region come together to compete in very selective spots in one of the two bands and gives people an opportunity to compete while also learning pieces of music. They also get to meet and play with other musicians who have the same skill level.

“Even if you don’t make the band, you still become a better musician just through all the work you put in,” Rendall said.

Most auditions bring stress and nerves because no one really knows the outcome. According to Fuselier, it is a challenging process to balance practice with homework, but the end result can be rewarding.

“The audition process itself makes the student a better musician because they dedicate so much time and practice on their instrument,” Ochoa said. “Earning a spot in the All-Region Jazz Band gives them the opportunity to rehearse and perform with the other top players from our region with an expert clinician in the jazz field. This exposes them to more jazz styles and interpretations.”

Ochoa said it takes hard work and determination to be selected for the All-Region group.

“Being an All-Region player requires a student to practice a lot in order to improve and perfect each etude,” he said. “This does not happen easily or over a short period of time. They have to dedicate a lot of work over a long period of time to earn a spot as one of the best players in the region.”

According to Ochoa, his goal for the year is for his students to push themselves and be the best they can be individually.

“We want to make sure each individual student is taking care of business and improving themselves, which in turn will elevate the band as a whole,” Ochoa said.