LCM has ‘Happiest Homecoming on Earth’

Two+of+these+seniors+will+be+picked+for+Homecoming+King+and+Queen+this+Friday+night.+

Two of these seniors will be picked for Homecoming King and Queen this Friday night.

Erika Cook, Writer

Homecoming has come again for the 2016-2017 school year. This week, the school has many different activities planned including dress up days, pep rallies and a parade. To begin the week, students were sent on a hunt around campus to find their own personalized Mickey Mouse cutout, which Student Council spent many hours cutting out and customizing.

This week has also been filled with other out-of-the-ordinary ways students can show off their school spirit. On Monday, students took a glimpse at their childhoods as they dressed up in all things Disney. Yesterday, students mourned the loss of summer as they dressed up like “Tacky Tourists.” Today, students are “forcing” themselves to show off their nerdy “sides” by expressing their love for Star Wars as they celebrate Hollywood Studios. Students will let their wild sides loose tomorrow when they have the option of dressing in animal print to celebrate the Animal Kingdom and on Friday, they will dress in their best green and gold.

“I think dressing up makes everyone a little happier because they get to wear things they aren’t normally able to,” senior Logan Comeaux said. “And having something silly to do lessens the stress of classes.”

I think dressing up makes everyone a little happier.

— Logan Comeaux

Other than being able to dress up, the school also held a candlelight pep rally in the stadium Monday night, which celebrated the football team, cheerleaders, Honey Bears and the Homecoming Courts.

“I am honored to be on homecoming court,” sophomore Jordan Alexander said. “But the fact that they chose me, out of all the people in 10th grade, makes it that much better. That shows me that my peers respect me enough to choose me for this honor.”

The entire Homecoming Court includes:

Freshmen: Avery Holland, Makayla Kusek, Sydney Peet, Jadyn Stack, Hunter Fant, Declan Kendall, Ty Moreland, and Julian Oceguera

Sophomores: Michaela Layman, Dajha Myles, Renna Toomey, Jordan Alexander, Zach Casey, and Ty Shugart

Juniors: Kayla Brack, Lani Daniels, Skylar Henry, Spencer Bonura, Ryder Huffman, and Michael Huff

Seniors: Theresa Beckett, Jade McMackin, Makennah Moreland, Kaylee Pattillo, Autumn Rendall, Sydney Smith, Connor Alexander, Beau Bickham, Dalan Jones, Tyler Miller, Kayne Williams, and Bryce Harmon

Band Beau and Sweetheart: Ethan Martin and Valen Elliott

Honey Bear Beau and Sweetheart: Woody Carter and Cynthia Williams

Cheerleader Beau and Sweetheart: Kayne Williams and Mallory Bromley

“I am honored to have been chosen to be on court,” sophomore Ty Shugart said. “I want to make a difference in my peer’s lives and them voting for me tells me that they are noticing me and that I am doing things right so far in my life.”

I am honored to have been chosen to be on court.

— Ty Shugart

This Friday, the school will follow an early release schedule and the final bell will ring at 11:45 a.m. The parade, which will feature the Homecoming Courts, school organizations and other honored guests, will begin at 2 p.m. from LCI.

“I like seeing all the local groups get together and form something really fun for the community,” senior Autumn Rendall said.

The pre-game festivities will begin around 6:15 Friday night, with the presentation of students on the Court and the crowning of the king and queen. Kickoff between the Battlin’ Bears and the Orangefield Bobcats will begin promptly at 7 p.m.