Bears look for another big win

The+Bear+Football+team+is+determined+to+win+District+this+year.+

Darian Simmons

The Bear Football team is determined to win District this year.

Baylea Perry, Writer

The Battlin’ Bear Football Team has one goal in mind this season – to get first place in district. Despite losses to Jasper and West Orange-Stark early in the season, the Bears came out fighting against Hardin-Jefferson last Friday and ended the night with a big 40-20 win.

The team is looking for another big win against the Orangefield Bobcats this Friday night at the Homecoming game.

“We definitely want and expect to make playoffs,” sophomore varsity player Adam Pope said. “Another expectation is to show all of our opponents that we are not the ‘pushover team.'”

Pope said the team as a whole has really improved and is always working as hard as they possibly can, on and off the field.

“The key to being a good team player is to treat every win and loss with the same positive attitude,” Pope said. “Also, to not let your teammates get down on themselves. As a good team player you have to strive to improve yourself and your teammates’ effort and performance.”

Junior running back Chris Winters has been on the Varsity team since his freshman year and said that some of the biggest challenges this year will be getting everyone on the same page and believing the team can be something special.

“The team has brought more speed and dedication into the game of football,” Winters said about their improvements this year.

Kickoff against Orangefield will begin at 7 p.m. this Friday and the team would like to see the stands filled with fans.

“I believe the student body should know our dedication to this sport and all the hours we put in,” Pope said. “This team is one of the most hard working and dedicated teams I have been a part of.”