Lady Bears off to winning start

Sophomore+Renna+Toomey+defends+the+net+in+Tuesday+night%27s+game+against+Woodville.+
Sophomore Renna Toomey defends the net in Tuesday night's game against Woodville.

Daisy Sutton

Daisy Sutton

Kayla Dean, Writer

The 2016 season seems to be one of the most promising yet for the Varsity Lady Bear Volleyball team, which has gotten off to a winning start this year.

So far, the Lady Bears have been successful with big wins against strong teams such as Nederland and Deweyville. Last Tuesday, LCM captured a 3-1 win over Woodville and went on to defeat the Lady Pirates, 3-0, Friday night in Vidor. Cammie Palmer, who is in her second year as the head volleyball coach, said she feels the team will advance far this year.

“The Lady Bear volleyball team is working very hard and performing well,” Palmer said. “We plan to continue to work hard, be a team and strive to go to playoffs.”

We plan to continue to work hard, be a team and strive to go to playoffs.”

— Cammie Palmer, head coach

The Lady Bears have been putting in the work needed to meet their goal; they even attended the Texas A&M camp as a team this summer. The ladies are no strangers to success, as the team has advanced to post-district play for several years now, and despite losing several seniors, they have shown no signs of weakness.

Sophomores Renna Toomey and Ally White have stepped up at the net and junior Kaitlin Avery continues to work her magic as an outside hitter. The team is also led by setters Kayla Dominguez and Morgan Weaver, and strong powerhouses such as Madison Taggart and Berkley Dobranski. Junior McCartney Miller continues to be successful in defending the back row as the libero.

The Lady Bears will have another competitive set of games this week, as they face Westbrook at home on Tuesday and Central at home on Friday starting at 4:30 p.m. They will also compete in the YMBL tournament this Thursday through Saturday and hope to keep the momentum going with even more wins after their home-court advantages this week.

“We have had a very energetic crowd and student section this year,” junior Isa Weizenegger said. “It got us even more hyped and excited. We are ready to see what else is in store for us this year.”