Girls soccer players honored

More stories from Lillie East

Lillie East

Nichols and Baldwin are overjoyed to be a part of All-District.

Last week, several members of the Lady Bear Soccer team were given All-District titles, including: freshman Kayla Nichols, sophomores Mayra Hernandez and Kourtney Baldwin, juniors Megan Brzezinski, Hallie Stack and Madison Taggart, and senior Makenzie Hearn.

Hearn, Stack and Taggart made Second Team All-District, Brzezinski, Hernandez and Baldwin snagged First Team All-District, and Nichols received the title of All-District Newcomer.

Baldwin, who has played soccer for 12 years and was chosen as the team captain for next year, said she feels her work has paid off.

“It was really special when I found out I was captain,” Baldwin said. “I’m going to A&M soccer camp this summer to work on ball skills and speed, so that hopefully by senior year, I’ll be District MVP. I freaked out and I called my dad when I got on First Team All-District. It’s important to me because it’s something that I worked hard for. I’m proud of myself for it.”

It’s something that I worked hard for.

— Kourtney Baldwin, sophomore

Baldwin said her father has been an inspiration in everything she does, especially soccer. According to her dad, she has exceeded all of the expectations he had for her in this season and in her soccer career.

Nichols, who received the prestigious Newcomer of the Year title as a freshman, said she and her team have built strong relationships with each other over the course of the season.

“We get close during soccer season,” Nichols said. “We bond together and hangout, and it’s really fun. My favorite memory is from our soccer party.”

Nichols said she is more than happy about her award and plans to play soccer with the varsity team again next year.

I was in shock, but full of excitement.

— Kayla Nichols, freshman

“I was very excited – surprised mostly, though,” Nichols said. “I didn’t really know much about the awards you could get. I was in shock, but full of excitement.”