One Act Play advances to Area

The+One+Act+Play+cast+and+crew+recently+advanced+to+the+Area+round+of+competition+with+their+performance+of+%22Blithe+Spirit.%22+
The One Act Play cast and crew recently advanced to the Area round of competition with their performance of

The One Act Play cast and crew recently advanced to the Area round of competition with their performance of "Blithe Spirit."

Jeannie Alexander

Jeannie Alexander

The One Act Play cast and crew will travel to Magnolia High School this Saturday, April 9 to compete in the Area round of competition with their performance of “Blithe Spirit.”

So far this season, the group has won both the district and bi-district rounds and is looking to bring home another win this weekend.

“Blithe Spirit” tells the story of Charles Condomine, who travels with his wife Ruth to a local medium (Madame Arcati) in order to get material for his next novel as she conducts a seance.

“His goal is to observe her and garner some ‘tricks of the trade’ for his book,” theatre director Cory Broom said. “However, Madame Arcati inadvertently calls Charles former wife, Elvira, back from the dead but only he can see or hear her! His current wife thinks he’s going mad and he begins to wonder the same. In an attempt to get Charles to herself, the ghost Elvira, cuts the brakes on Charles’ car but Ruth takes the car for the evening and she ends up dead as well! Now Charles is stuck with the ghosts of two wives and hilarity ensues as he tries, with the help of Madame Arcati, to exorcise the spirits.”

To prepare for the play and all of the competition that goes with it, the One Act Play cast and crew practices every day during 5th period, as well as after school and sometimes even before school.

“We begin with vocal warm ups and then rehearse scenes from the play,” Broom said. “As we get closer to contests and performances, we begin running the entire show in full hair, costume and make-up so that students can practice quick changes and really get a feel for the pace of the production.”

Along with the challenges of rehearsing and perfecting their production, the cast and crew have had to adjust to walking across campus just to get to the auditorium from the theater room.

“This year, obviously, we’ve dealt with the complications of construction,” Broom said. “Our set is massive and there is not an easy exit or entrance into the auditorium this year. Loading our truck takes twice as long but everyone has kept smiling throughout the ordeal.”

Aside from the accomplishments and awards the Bear Stage Players have brought to the district, being in the group also has many other perks.

It makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable when you’re spending that time with your best friends.”

— Sydney Smith

“What I enjoy the most about theatre are the friendships I have made while doing the play,” junior Sydney Smith said. “With One Act you practice every day and end up spending a lot of time with the people that are in the play. It makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable when you’re spending that time with your best friends.”

The contest this Saturday begins at 3:15 p.m. at Magnolia High School and LCM will take the stage around 5:30 p.m. Admission is $10.

The cast and crew will also perform for the community next Tuesday and Thursday. Those who would like to attend the “Dinner Theater” may pay $20 and will be treated to dinner served by the LCM Culinary Arts classes. The dinner will be served at 6 pm and the show will begin at 7 pm.