UIL Academic team wins big at District

Valen Elliott

More stories from Valen Elliott

The prose and poetry team had four out of their seven readers advance to Regionals.

Cory Broom

The UIL Academic team won sweepstakes for the second year in a row at the District meet on April 2 in Silsbee. They placed first overall with 459 points and Bridge City trailing close behind with 338 points.

The speech team took first place with the prose and poetry readers all advancing to the finals. In Lincoln Douglas Debate, Emily Erb placed third and will advance to Regionals. In CX Debate, LCM took third and fourth place. Junior Connor Alexander and sophomore Meg Clark placed first and second in poetry, respectively. Sophomore Dalton Teeler placed fifth in poetry. In prose, junior Tyler Regan placed first, freshman Elijah Rideout placed third, and freshmen Maggie Pigg placed fourth.

“I am so proud of my entire team,” Alexander said. “I feel like we went in, represented LCM well, and came out with four readers advancing to Regionals. They are all so extremely talented and I am so blessed to be on the same team as them.”

I am so proud of my entire team.

— Connor Alexander

The journalism team took first place team as well, with junior Valen Elliott placing first in news and feature writing and junior Bailey Noah placing fifth in news, second in feature, and third in headline writing. Senior Sydney Pierce placed fourth in feature writing and senior Andrea Steward placed fifth in headline writing.

“Their goal from the beginning of this season was to advance to Regionals, and two of them accomplished that goal,” journalism teacher Lindsey Fruge said. “Valen Elliott and Bailey Noah will both compete at Regionals and Sydney Pierce will also go to Regionals as an alternate.”

The current events teams placed second and will compete at Regionals. Sophomore Spencer Johns placed first, junior Mathew Cox placed fifth and senior Sam Ross placed sixth.

“I’m very proud of how my team did,” Ross said. “We scored the highest out of any other second place team in our region so we will advance to Regionals.”

Students who placed in the top three will compete at Regionals on April 22 and 23 at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville. Those who place in the top three will go on to compete at the State meet in May, which is what is on all the students’ minds.

The following students placed at the District meet:

Accounting: second place team, Trey Love – fifth and Kayne Williams – sixth
Calculator Applications: second place team, Thomas King – third
Computer Science: first place team, individual ranking was a sweep with Thomas King, John Comeaux, Matthew Cox and Tyler Wolfford taking first through fourth respectively
Informative Speaking: Nyah Patel – fourth, Akhil Tejani – fifth, and Zachary Casey – sixth
Mathematics: first place team, Thomas King – first, Cameron Parker – third and Tyler McCorvy – fifth
Number Sense: first place team, Thomas King – first, Chris Cook – second, Drake Trawhon – fifth and Mitchell Lee – sixth
Persuasive Speaking: Emily Erb – second, Aman Tejani – third and Geoffrey Hill – fourth
Ready Writing: Alora Jones – third