• Freshmen and JV football at home this Thursday

• Football at HJ this Friday

• Volleyball at Silsbee this Friday

Sophomore Balances Sports, Music

Sophomore+Tyler+Miller+has+a+passion+for+playing+the+piano.+
Sophomore Tyler Miller has a passion for playing the piano.

Photo courtesy of Tyler Miller

Photo courtesy of Tyler Miller

Sydney Pierce, Editor

From dribbling down the basketball court to writing and performing music on piano, Sophomore Tyler Miller is always on the move.

Miller is not only an athlete, but a working musician as well. After basketball practice, he rushes to his sectionals for band, making sure he gets to all of his activities on time.

“I’m involved in basketball for the school, Wind Ensemble and Jazz band,” Miller said.

Miller has played basketball since the third grade and he practices about an hour each day. He said his dad has been one of his main influences in regards to being a basketball player and has taught him most of what he knows. Along with his dad, his mother and grandfather have encouraged him to play sports as well.

“My favorite thing about basketball is competing and the feeling I get from winning,” he said.

According to Miller, something unique about playing sports is that it gives him a chance to compete for something that he cares about. He said he enjoys the feeling he gets when all of his hard work pays off.

“The biggest challenge in music and sports is overcoming your mind,” Miller said. “The toughest challenge you’re going to face is yourself, so you have to find a way to be that.”

When he’s not on the basketball court, he plays four instruments including piano, guitar, bass guitar, and French horn. Miller is in two band classes during the day and in addition to that, a majority of his time outside of school is dedicated to his music.

“My grandmother inspired me to play write music,” Miller said.

He plays the piano and French horn in LCM’s Wind Ensemble and bass guitar in the jazz band. Not only that, but he also plays piano for First Baptist Church of Orange’s youth band. Miller has played piano since he was five years old, French horn since he was in sixth grade, guitar since eighth grade, and started playing bass guitar this year.

“My favorite thing about music is that it allows me to express myself and create something of my own,” he said.

Miller has gone to some contests with the band and he has also performed in the school talent show. Miller played a song he wrote on piano and also posts occasional videos on Twitter of self-written pieces. In the future, he wants to go to a music conservatory to pursue a career in composing for piano.

“Something unique about music is that it allows you to just escape into a different zone, and if you’re playing an instrument, you can express yourself through the music and just enjoy the process,” Miller said.

Along with these activities, Miller’s other hobbies include reading, playing with Rubik’s cubes and hanging out with friends. But, these things don’t compare to the joy that he gets from playing sports and his instruments.

“I don’t think I could choose a favorite between the two,” Miller said. “Music allows me to express myself and relax, while basketball gives me a medium for competition.”