Academic Team Wins Sweepstakes Again

The poetry and prose team brought home several awards at the PNG UIL meet.

Cory Broom

Valen Elliott, Clubs Editor

The UIL Acadmic Team earned the sweepstakes title at the Port Neches-Groves meet on Saturday, Feb. 13 after racking up many team and individual medals.

“LCM always pulls through,” junior Bailey Noah said. “We have a great group going to every meet.”

The journalism team had students place in both feature and headline writing. Junior Valen Elliott placed sixth in feature and Noah placed first in feature and fourth in headline.

“I feel really great that I placed first against the most students I’ve ever competed against,” Noah said. “I just hope it happens again at district, and hopefully regionals.”

The prose and poetry team had all seven of their members advance to finals. In poetry, sophomore Dalton Teeler placed first, junior Connor Alexander placed second, sophomore Meg Clark placed third, and freshmen Jackson Baeza placed seventh. In prose, junior Tyler Regan got third place, freshmen Maggie Pigg got fourth place, and freshmen Eli Rideout got seventh place.

“I feel like I did great,” Teeler said. “I got first place in UIL poetry and this was my first time competing in poetry.”

The computer science team, coached by Terry Morris, placed first as a team. Senior and team captain John Comeaux  placed first, junior Mathew Cox placed second, junior Thomas King placed fourth, junior Daniel Iles placed fifth, and junior Tyler Wolford placed sixth.

“We got first in team and it went pretty well,” Iles said.

The current events team placed third overall. Member for that team are junior Aman Chakkiwala, junior Mathew Cox, sophomore Spencer Johns, sophomore Kalan Bonnette and sophomore Bayleigh Swanton. Individually, Cox placed third and Johns placed fifth.

“I’m thrilled we placed as a team,” Chakkiwala said. “We worked very hard for it.”

The math teams had many victories at the meet as well. In number sense King placed first, senior Drake Trawhon placed fourth. The team got first overall. Members for the team are King, Trawhon, senior Devin Fenner, and sophomore Chris Cook. The calculator team earned third place with King placing sixth and Cox placing fifth.

“We did outstanding,” Cook said. “Each teammate did a great job and contributed to the team victory.”

King also got first place in general math and earned second place for the general math team.