Feb. 15-19 Athlete of the Week: Courtney Price

Senior+Courtney+Price+has+been+very+successful+In+Powerlifting+over+the+last+four+years.+
Senior Courtney Price has been very successful In Powerlifting over the last four years.

Lillie East

Lillie East

Ethan Martin, Writer

Powerlifting is a sport that requires a lot of strength and determination and is often overlooked, but this week’s Athlete of the Week is Senior Courtney Price, who is quite accomplished in this sport.
Price, who has been in Powerlifting since her freshman year, trains year-round with a personal trainer at local gym and she also trains in the school when the season starts.
“I would consider powerlifting as one of the harder sports, due to the equipment used, hard training and amount of weight we lift,” Price said.
Price said she first got into lifting because of her friends.
“I was always a base in cheerleading and my friends would always classify me as strong,” Price said. “I gave it a shot freshmen year and I’ve loved it ever since.”
Price said one of the toughest parts of powerlifting is dieting because everyone has to be separated into weight categories and it can be hard to maintain the right body weight.
“The right body weight determines how well the equipment is going to fit, how well the training goes, and how well our overall performance is when lifting at a meet,” Price said.
The night before a meet, Price said she prepares in many ways by making sure her gym bag is ready to go with everything she needs. She said she also makes sure she intakes the proper amount of protein and carbs to perform her best. The day of the meet, she has to get her mind focused.
“Having your mind together is one of the most important things because the key to each lift attempt is proper technique, determination, and giving the glory to God,” Price said. “I carry a small pocket cross in my gym bag as a reminder of who I’m lifting, and who made me the lifter I am.”
Even though powerlifting is considered an individual sport, Pricesaid she appreciates her team members who support each other and the people she has met over the years.
“Everyone still comes together to help and support one another and that’s one thing I love most about the support,” Price said. “Another thing I’m thankful for in power lifting is the people I’ve had the opportunity to meet and become close with to make memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.”