Students Participate in Solo and Ensemble

Senior+Rebecca+Brown+earned+a+one+for+her+marimba+solo.+

Marcia Brown

Senior Rebecca Brown earned a one for her marimba solo.

Bailey Noah, PR Manager

This past weekend, members of the LCM band traveled to Lumberton High School to participate in Solo and Ensemble, where 77 students brought home medals.

Solo and Ensemble is a contest where students perform a solo alone or an ensemble with a few other band members for a judge who will grade their performance. Students receive a rating of one through four, one being the best, and four needing work. If students memorize their solos and make a one rating, they qualify for State. Senior Rebecca Brown qualified for state for the third year in a row with her marimba solo.

Junior Taia Blanchard was rewarded for her hard work after earning a medal for her solo, which received a score of a one.

“I had my solo for about four weeks,” Blanchard said. “I got it a little late, so the pressure was on. I practiced everyday, although some days were easier than others. Going into my performance, I felt a little nervous and unsure. The piece was a little long, and definitely out of my comfort zone. I had a few hiccups during my solo, but the judge really focused on the positives and the things that I did right, which I am very appreciative of.”

Students who participated had the opportunity beforehand to receive help from band directors and private teachers or find recordings on YouTube of their solos. Blanchard gives credit to her private instructor, Justin Hargraves, for helping her with the solo.

“I think we had a great turnout this weekend,” assistant band director Jesse Winecoff said. “Most students put a lot of individual practice times into their solos which makes them into their solos which makes them a better player.”

The jazz band ensemble, led by head band director Steve Schoppert, and the percussion ensemble, led by Jesse Winecoff, received ones as well.

“It’s always good to see their hard work rewarded,” Ochoa said. “We are proud of the students who participated this weekend.”