Senior Lets Her Voice be Heard

Senior+Hannah+Hodges+has+seen+much+success+in+choir+and+band.+

Hannah Hodges

Senior Hannah Hodges has seen much success in choir and band.

Valen Elliott, Clubs Editor

From learning flag work for her next big performance to preparing for her next choir audition and studying for her many rigorous courses she takes, senior Hannah Hodges seems to do it all.

Hodges is in Color Guard year-round, the National Honor Society, and Choir and on top of all that, she takes all AP or honors courses. Just recently, she made first chair in the All-State Women’s Choir and received a one at solo and ensemble.

“It feels amazing to make the state choir,” Hodges said. “It’s so rewarding. This is the most competitive competition I’ve ever done.”

Just this year, Hodges made third chair soprano one in the All-Region mixed choir, first chair soprano one at the pre-area auditions, and fifth chair soprano one at area, which made her the first chair in the All-State Women’s choir. Over this past weekend, she made a one at solo and ensemble and has advanced to state.

“I feel honored to be a part of these choirs and very blessed,” Hodges said. “Auditions are incredibly exhausting and stressful but as I moved on to each round, it just pushed me to keep going.”

This was the third consecutive year for Hodges to make the state level choir. Along with that, she has made the All-Region Choir all four years of her high school career and has advanced to state for solo and ensemble for three years. She will return to state for solo and ensemble in May. Hodges said that music itself inspires her as well as all of her music teachers.

“It’s amazing what a melody can do for your heart,” Hodges said. “I would never be here with out my music teachers teaching me everything I know.”

Hodges has been in choir since junior high but says she has been singing since she could talk.

“When I got into junior high I just naturally joined choir because I wanted to sing more,” Hodges said. “I have stuck with it ever since.”

Color Guard is also a big part of Hodges’ life and requires a lot of time in her schedule. She has been the captain of the Color Guard since her junior year and before that was an officer. In the fall she performs in the halftime show and spends many hours after school learning her sets and choreography and teaching it as well. Once marching season is over, she is an active member of Winter Guard.

“I stay as organized as possible and do as well as I can on everything I’m in,” Hodges said. “To be honest, I’m not sure how I balance it all.”

Hodges said she will continue down the path of music after she graduates in May. She plans on going to Dallas Baptist University and majoring in music business with a focus on worship leadership and songwriting.

“I love singing,” Hodges said. “Pouring all your emotions into a piece of music and singing it with all of your heart is the most fulfilling feeling.”