Fashion Design Creates Holiday Attire

Kayla+Dominguez+and+Maddie+Frey+show+off+their+handmade+aprons.+

Photo by Babs Foster

Kayla Dominguez and Maddie Frey show off their handmade aprons.

Caitlyn Permenter, Writer

Every year when the holiday season rolls around, teacher Babs Foster’s fashion design classes get into the spirit by making ugly Christmas sweaters, aprons and quilts. These projects are always scheduled between Thanksgiving and Christmas break and this year’s classes have already produced some very fashionable pieces.

“It’s a good hands on experience before reviewing for final exams,” Foster said of the projects.

Every year, the LCM Fashion Design class makes an apron, but also makes other items such as stockings and quilts. Foster said it typically takes about two weeks of class time to complete them.

In order for the classes to prepare for the stocking project, Foster designs a pattern and then walks the students through how to make them. She said she really enjoys hearing the stories of who the students are making them for.

“Stockings are a fun before-Christmas break project,” Foster said.

The Fashion 2 class creates ugly Christmas sweaters for their projects, in which the students must create a design of their own and then machine sew it on an old recycled sweater of theirs. Foster said it’s hard to think of one sweater in particular that would be the most creative.

“I have had such talent in my class,” she said.

Before beginning the project, the students receive a supply list a few weeks prior and Foster goes over the list and process of what they will be making. Aside from sweaters and stockings, her students have also created quilts.

“I had so many students do a fabulous job on their blankets this year,” Foster said.