Team Force Sells Famous Cheese Logs

Order cheese logs and support LCM’s life skills class.

Valen Elliott, Clubs Editor

LCM Team Force is holding its annual cheese log fundraiser. Cheese logs will be sold for $7 until Dec. 11 and can be ordered by contacting Team Force teacher Terrie Parker.

The class makes both jalapeno cheese logs and cheddar cheese logs. Normally they make around 600 cheese logs, but the number increases each year. Adults in the class, some of the students, Meet in the Middle, and many volunteers make the cheese logs.

“Mrs. Fikes and Mrs. Foster are very helpful in sending students from their classes to help,” Parker said. “Anyone that is willing to volunteer is welcome.”

The cheese log fundraiser has been held each year around Christmas for over 15 years. The profit from used to fund community-based instruction for the class.

“The students are taken on many field trips, such as attending the Lutcher Theater, out to eat, Christmas shopping, (and) buying birthday presents to teach and reinforce skills needed to access community events,” Parker said.

On Friday, Dec. 11, the class will attend a Christmas sock hop at Lumberton. The next day they will compete in the Special Olympics bowling tournament.

“Nothing compares to seeing my students learn something new and apply that knowledge,” Parker said. “Special Olympics has been a wonderful tool that brings success and pride to my students and their families as well.”

Many student are unaware of what the life skills class does during the school day. Parker says they do the same thing every other student does.

“We have math, science, social studies, English, health and PE classes,” Parker said. “We also work on cooking skills, vocational skills, and activities of daily living.”

Team Force will wrap up its fundraiser on Friday and have the cheese logs ready for pick up before the semester break.

“We will make them December 14 – 16 and start delivering and have some ready for pick up on those days,” Parker said.