Writer Expresses Her Love for Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

Writer Expresses Her Love for Halloween

Andrea Steward is a senior.

Andrea Steward is a senior.

L. Fruge

Andrea Steward is a senior.

L. Fruge

L. Fruge

Andrea Steward is a senior.

Andrea Steward, Writer

Halloween is this coming Saturday, and I couldn’t be more excited. I have always really looked forward to this holiday full of ghastly ghouls and ugly monsters. There is something about my adrenaline racing that I look forward to every year. I fill my week full of horror movies, costume shopping, Halloween inspired activities, and most importantly – candy.

Horror movies are a very important part of getting into the Halloween spirit. With so many to choose from, especially with the rise of Netflix, it is usually hard to choose one to call my favorite. This year I do not have that problem though; my favorite movie is undoubtedly the classic ‘Panic Room.’ I know, not what most people would consider a horror movie. This home invasion movie is terrifying for a completely different reason than the typical ghosts and slasher gore. It is an entirely realistic nail-biter that always leaves me triple-checking my locks at home. There is something about watching a movie where anyone around me could easily be the main character that leaves me anxious.

Costumes are a priority during Halloween, right next to carving a pumpkin on your porch. This is the one night a year where anyone can be whoever they want. I remember most of the people I have chosen to duplicate over the years – from Princess Aurora to Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, I have always enjoyed dressing up. This year I am going to be a special agent, much like the actors in Criminal Minds.

If there is a party involved with your Halloween plans, then you must have ideas for snacks and drinks. Pinterest is my lifesaver in times like this. My friend Angelica always has a party on the night itself, and I always bring the best themed food. This year I am bringing Wicked Witches Punch, as well as Sugar-and-Spice Caramel Popcorn. Making the food and drinks is always a very fun activity, and it is an easy way to get your family involved.

Halloween is a great time to carry out traditions with friends or family. For example, every year my sister and I attend the Haunted Hotel in Beaumont and every year I freak out and regret having done it. It is horrifying! Walking through pitch black hallways, people touching you, and a race with a chainsaw is not usually my idea of fun, but it works for this time of year.

Candy is possibly the most important aspect of Halloween. Walking through Wal-Mart, all that can be seen are aisles and aisles of the sugary sweet cavity inducers. I always look forward to one certain type of candy – the small rolls of Sweet-Tarts only appear in the weeks leading up to Halloween. I wait all year in order to savor these small morsels of artificial flavoring.

I love autumn, so it is not at all surprising that my favorite holiday falls into the season. Everything that surrounds the atmosphere is so fun and so lively, so I will be pretty sad when Saturday is over. There is only one thing that perks me up after the close of Halloween, and it is remembering that Christmas is right around the corner. Get those lists ready!

Andrea Steward, Writer

I was born to lead to a world that doesn't care.