Seniors Reflect on Final Year of High School

Senior+Sydney+Pierce+was+crowned+as+the+2015+Homecoming+Queen.+

L. Fruge

Senior Sydney Pierce was crowned as the 2015 Homecoming Queen.

Lillie East, Photo Editor

Mixed feelings are running rampant throughout the Class of 2016, as the first official senior night is taking place and cap and gown pictures have been taken. While some students are excited for this change, a lot are nervous, sad, or all of the above. When taking cap and gown pictures, seniors had to accept that they will soon graduate.

“It is bittersweet,” Alex Fitzgerald said. “On the one hand, I’m excited to move on to a new chapter in my life. But then I’m also a little sad about leaving the people I’ve met over the years and knowing life is about to be so different.”

As a senior there are many realities and realizations that the students are faced with.

“I realize that there’s a last and a first for everything,” Nick Auffant said. “There is the first time I wear a cap and gown, and a last time. This is my first time at the top of the food chain and also the last. But even though it’s the last of a lot of things, it is also the beginning to a new phase of my life.”

Considering firsts and lasts, senior night is the last of Friday night lights for seniors in their home stadium.

“As a varsity [football] player, it just makes me wonder where the time went,” Daniel Killian said. “I can remember all of us playing football as freshmen just waiting for the chance to play in a varsity football game, and now senior night is here, the last time we will play on our home field. I just can’t describe to any of the younger players and the students of LCM how fast it all flies by, and how much you will regret it if you don’t cherish every moment of your high school career.”

Some seniors in band are also having mixed feelings on this last home game.

“I’m really excited to be able to be the people that I’ve seen in the past years,” Band Captain Sydney Pierce said. “Every single year I’ve been in the stands in my band uniform watching all the seniors get called out, and now it’s going to be me. It’s exciting, but bittersweet at the same time.”

Although many emotions in this matter lean towards melancholy, some seniors are more than excited to be with their fellow students in the student section.

“I can’t wait for senior night,” Jake Portie said. “It’s great to celebrate the ending of my high school career because it means I will soon start a new chapter of my life.”