Getting to Know Lennart Weidenhammer

Sydney Pierce, Editor

This school year has been full of many changes for LCM students – perhaps the most significant would be the construction happening on campus. One thing is for sure  – it’s definitely not a “normal” year for LCM – but for junior foreign exchange student Lennart Weidenhammer, things are even further from his version of “normal.”

16-year-old Weidenhammer is from a town called Enger in Germany and he has been in America since this past August. Since he has been here, he has already had to adapt to the change in environment.

“It’s hard dealing with the weather,” Weidenhammer said. “It’s much hotter than in Germany. The humidity is even worse than the heat.”

Despite the temperature outside, Weidenhammer enjoys being able to have the opportunity to be in the U.S. for the entire school year. He has already made an abundance of new friends, including Spanish foreign exchange student Paula Gomez, whom he lives with in Little Cypress, along with their host family.

“I like the people here more,” Weidenhammer said. “They are more friendly and open than in Germany.”

Living away from family for an entire year can be difficult for any teenager but for Weidenhammer, he said it isn’t that bad. He said that he hasn’t gotten homesick yet and that he usually can talk to his friends and family once a week, but sometimes not even that.

Even if he does get a little homesick, it won’t stop Weidenhammer from having a great time while in America and enjoying his favorite hobbies, such as listening to electronic music.

“I played soccer in Germany for years and I play soccer here, too,” Weidenhammer said.

He said he also enjoys hanging out with friends, listening to music and playing X-box.

Another thing Weidenhammer likes about Texas is that everything is much bigger than he expected.

“I expected it to be big but it’s even bigger,” he said.

Another difference he has noted in his time here is the food, especially “Texan” food, and so far he has found it to be quite appetizing.

“The food is so good,” Weidenhammer said. “My favorite is probably burgers.”

Weidenhammer said he wants to travel to other places in the United States, but at the top of his list would be Hawaii and New York. While here, he said he looks forward to meeting new people and seeing the true American spirit. Weidenhammer will stay in the United States until the end of the school year and then he will depart back to Germany ten days after that.